The mkiv Supra Owners Club

rounded bolt trying to remove cam cover! ahh!! any toold to remove it?

Lude

well i spent about 5 hours yesterday removing the cam covers,

or at least trying to.

i removed/undid every bolt for the cam covers, and removed all the piping out the way & breathers etc.

unfortunatly,i rounded one of the bolts off which hold the coilpack on!

because the breather pipe was in the way, (tried undoing it with the breather on)

so after removing all the difficult bolts, iv messed up on the coilpack one :rolleyes:

how can i remove this bolt? realy wana get the cam covers off to paint.

was so frustrating spendin a whole day undoing the bolts, only to put them all back on again with out painting!

any tools to remove it? its a 10mm bolt...

If its a normal 10mm bolt you can get sockets which only have 6 sides internally, not the usual 12. These are good at getting off rounded bolt heads so long as you haven't rounded it too far to be useful.

Otherwise you could try to force an imperial socket on as the sizes are close but sometimes slightly smaller. Try 3/8 as this is only 9.5mm

Drill the head off it and be sure the swarf doesn't go anywhere it shouldn't, like inside the engine. Then remove the stem of the bolt with Mole grips or maybe even your fingers. Don't take short cuts, sockets need to go squarely onto bolt heads. Don't use a junk drill bit and DO NOT snap the drill off in the bolt head, get someone to do it for you if you are less than 100% confident.

thanks guys will try,

did try hammering a 9mm on but didnt seem to wana go on

cant beleive how long it took getting all the fiddly bolts out, every single one, then messing up on the bolt thats plain as day to see.

if only i removed the breather tut