The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox Problems

fastcar

Hi peeps

Haveing a problem with my gearbox on the Supra.

Its making one hell of a racket. I have put in an RPS clutch and swaped the Duel mass flywheel for a lightweight solid unit. I know it will make some noise at idle but this is to much clanging for there not to be somthing wrong. It allso make's alot of noise on deacleration like a bearing has gone. And have noticed that there is an oil leak at the back of the box coming from the propshaft bearing.

If anyone has any idea of what this could and mean would be very helpfull.

Will try and record the sound it is making tomorrow might help if someone has had the same problem.

Should have said it's a TT Manual 6 speed

Edited by fastcar (see edit history)

Was the box quiet, before the clutch change?

Is the oil leak new?

Which RSP clutch?

yep there was a rattle there before clutch and fly wheel change just not as much. the flywheel is making it sound louder.

i noticed the oil leak about a month ago. the clutch is a RPS street max and RPS Flywheel.

Also have noticed that the gear change can get a bit stiff when gearbox has warmed up

Only there when clutch is engaged. And makes a noise on deacceleration to like a bearing has gone. Will try and get video clip up when I get home.

Im looking into it at the moment - is the sound there continously or when your engage the clutch it goes away?

Yea im looking at recon or new gearbox

ok have some video clips. only from inside the car while driving.

did'nt bother with a clip from out side because it was'nt making any noise at idle today. will take it on a longer run and get that clip.

allso find it very hard to get into reverse when the box is warmed up. And after a long run at speed the box can get clunky and deficult it get into gear

accelerating then lifting off

accelerating high gear low rpm

accelerating then lifting off when box is warm

Thats not right dude, sounds to me like the clutch is binding on, hence why you're having trouble getting into gear. Your release bearning is not disengaging from the pressure plate and it's whirring constantly (soon to be knacked).

It's my guess anyway.

So do u reckon I need to replace the release bearing?

The difficulty in getting into gear is down to the clutch, and forcing it in will *ugger the gearbox in no time. Why people buy these things when the fact that so many of them won't fully release properly is well documented I don't know. You need to get the clutch sorted before you can diagnose the gearbox issues. I doubt the noise is a release bearing issue myself.

The difficulty in getting into gear is down to the clutch, and forcing it in will *ugger the gearbox in no time. Why people buy these things when the fact that so many of them won't fully release properly is well documented I don't know. You need to get the clutch sorted before you can diagnose the gearbox issues. I doubt the noise is a release bearing issue myself.

wish i had been member of this site before i brought that clutch. Might have saved myself a few quid.

Chris what clutch would u recomend?

Looking to go single in the future and to be running some where around the 600hp area

• 6 months later...