The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diff changed but still have a horrible noise.

Guest Suprastar2009

Guest Suprastar2009

Ok so I have had the diff changed over and it now feels lovely to drive, very tight and no surge between neutral and drive so I though all was good but no..... The noise is back/still there, it is a Scritch Scritch noise on rotation of the wheel on the Nearside Rear ( Passenger side) . It seems to have moments though were it doesnt make a sound at all, then itll be back and haunt me like the plague :( The sound is audiable inside the car and also if I open the passenger side window I can hear it it sounds awful, I drove it slowly past my uncle yesterday so he could hear the noise and he said it sound like its coming from high in the wheel arch i.e suspension, I removed the plastic cover on the top of the strus but everything seems ok not rot no rust e.t.c... please help im running out of time patience and money :(

Best thing to do is jack up each side and spin the wheel by hand.

You'll need to place the car in neutral and leave the park brake off so be sure it won't roll by blocking the front wheels.

If its not a balance weight rubbing then there could be a stone caught between the brake disc and the dust guard.

If a caliper is seized the wheel will be harder to turn, maybe not a lot but it should be noticeable.

ive had this before, for mine it was the handbrake shoe pins that hold the shoes. there is a straight pin and a bent pin that come throgh the dust shield (it then has the shoe located over them and then a small spring and then a little twist washer thingy..)

On mine the pin was bent (due to it not being removed properly before) this made the pin slightly longer and when the spring and washer was on it was too close to the hub flange (bit with the studs on) and was lightly catching the studs making a metallic and bloddy annoying noise..

Might be what worth a look

Guest Suprastar2009
ive had this before, for mine it was the handbrake shoe pins that hold the shoes. there is a straight pin and a bent pin that come throgh the dust shield (it then has the shoe located over them and then a small spring and then a little twist washer thingy..)

On mine the pin was bent (due to it not being removed properly before) this made the pin slightly longer and when the spring and washer was on it was too close to the hub flange (bit with the studs on) and was lightly catching the studs making a metallic and bloddy annoying noise..

I'll take a look tomorow how much did you have to remove to be able to see the problem?

I had exactly the same earlier this year, the cranked pin tends to straighten over time, Its a fairly easy job. Remove wheel, get caliper and bkt out of the way, You can then spin the disc to make sure the noise is still there. if so, slacken the handbrake adjustment. Remove disc, then its fairly easy to see what it is and fix.

yes was intermittent. but it did get worse.

Best way to find it is to jack up the rear, spin the wheel and check for noise. remove wheel, spin the disc, check for noise and make sure the dust guard isn't catching the disc, check noise, remove caliper, check for noise......you get the pattern. its a matter of elimination.

but, as Jody says, my money will be on the handbrake pin inside the drum.