The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hybrid turbo boost queery

Rich

I got told today that removing both cats is dangerus to my turbos even with a boost controlller.I was told that my car could over boost even with the controller/ is this true ?

alsoSome places say I can run 1.4/5 bar safely with the fmic and other mods is this true cos everybody has different opinions?

I also got told that my engine can only run 350-400hp through the standard pistons,but I have been told from another source that it can cope with 700hp max.

can anybody please clear these matters up for me because I dont want to do any more damage to my car??:looney:

Ok, basically a boost controller can only increase boost, not reduce it below what it would be with it switched off. Whether you will overboost with both cats out and no ring depends on the spec of your hybrids - if they have enlarged wastegates then you might well be ok, you'll just have to try it and see.

What is considered safe boost for your hybrids I don't know, but you should probably get an EGT gauge and keep an eye on your exhaust gas temps. I would have thought that if your fuelling is set up correctly 1.4 would be OK.

I'm also fairly sure that the standard pistons would be fine unless you're going mad with power.

It's important to get your fuelling checked with a wideband O2 (or 'lambda') sensor. Stock fuel systems cannot cope with higher boost on stock turbos never mind hybrids. EGTs are secondary to this, but still important to get checked. Also, higher boost doesn't necessarily mean more power, running 1.3bar on hybrids gives you a very fast motor and it should, if set up properly, maintain EGTs around 900degC under the most arduous of circumstances.

Don't worry about the stock bottom end falling apart until you put a big single turbo on it :)

-Ian

Remove both Cats = reduced back pressure = potential turbos 'running away' with themselves ie boost 'creep

Therefore

Stock System

1. Remove both Cats = fit restrictor ring and Fuel Cut Defencer (FCD)

2. Remove both cats AND fit boost controller = fit restrictor ring and fit FCD AND keep boost under 1.2BAR AND if possible get car up to Petes and put on rolling road

Hybrid System

1. Remove both cats AND fit boost controller = fit FCD AND keep boost under 1.3BAR (ish) AND def get your fuelling etc checked on a rolling road

If rolling road shows jap spec 440's injectors aren't coping (which is likely!)

2 Buy set of 680cc injectors from Vortex and an Apexi S-AFC, Walbro Pump and FSE (from Me!! Hoorah!)and get it fitted and DEF get to rolling road to check fuelling

have I missed owt?

:thumbs:

Originally posted by Paul E

2 Buy set of 680cc injectors from Vortex and an Apexi S-AFC, Walbro Pump and FSE (from Me!! Hoorah!)and get it fitted and DEF get to rolling road to check fuelling

have I missed owt?

Apart from the fact he's already got 660cc injectors, FSE, Walbro fuel pump and SAFC you mean? :innocent: :p