The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The metal clips around the brake pads

Dim Sum

I have searched the forums, but i dont think i could find the answers.

Has the title suggest. I've recently changed the brake pads and i have throw away the metal clips that goes on the brake pads. Think they might be called squeak shims.

I've noticed the brakes started to squeak at low speeds, so i was just wondering if that the cause of the squeaks?

Because my disc needs replacing aswel but the disc cant cause it to squeak right?

And if i need to get the squeak shims does anyone know where i could get some.

Thank you.:)

Or use some duck tape on the back (only 1 strip thickness, dont overlap) and a little on the edge where it meets the caliper clips. As over time the copper grease can dissapear or collect brake dust. Happened to me on my suzuki.

As for the supra I always use the anti-squeal shims and anti rattle springs when replacing my pads.

Wouldnt it melt??

Maybe if you are driving on a track day or towing a caravan and braking down a hill. IMO pads don't get that hot that quickly as the metal part is quite well insulated by the brake pad material. It's the discs that get very hot under strong braking, not so much the metal part of the pads.

Remember this is what I did to my suzuki vitara, not exactly a 'hard braking' machine. If the OP has thrown away the original anti squeal skims and wants a cheap fix to his rattle problem then you can either use my method or the copper grease method. Both work but obviously not as good as OEM anti squeal shims.