The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3G Brakes

GetawayDriver

EBC recently supplied us with their EBC red stuff ceramic pads and their EBC yellow stuff pads.

Red Stuff Ceramics are a new forumlation and are a step up from normal red stuff pads.

Yellow stuff pads are for track use really.

I supplied both sets to Matt Harwood to try out on his car with UK spec brakes.

Hopefully Matt can give us more of an update as EBC pads are reasonably priced and if the red stuff ceramics work well then it might be a cheaper alternative.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

I used 3G brakes on the ZX. They are 10 or 20 Groove Brembo castings. On the 300 they warped and got through green pads within about 2K of miles!!!!!!!!! Red's are harder wearing but take awhile to warm up.

Take a look at DBA Golds from Peter at Performa.

Guest Terry S

Agree with Roy here. I seem to have the ability to warp or even crack evry disc I com across, so far Power Slots, Brembo, and Stock. The DBA's have been brilliant so far. I have had them turn blue with heat and still not warping. Very impressed so far, and Peter offers a great service. On the pads, Matt seems happy with the EBC's so far, or we now have the Carbotechs which are great.

Originally posted by Terry S

Agree with Roy here. I seem to have the ability to warp or even crack evry disc I com across, so far Power Slots, Brembo, and Stock. The DBA's have been brilliant so far. I have had them turn blue with heat and still not warping. Very impressed so far, and Peter offers a great service. On the pads, Matt seems happy with the EBC's so far, or we now have the Carbotechs which are great.

Surely the disks you mention are fine for Bpu without warping? your comparing these to your 700bhp+ ex Supra, oviously that will have a better chance to warp them......

Most people own Bpu supra's so these are more than fine, Brembo are quality, they come on Evo's and other cars as stock.

Paul

Originally posted by tango

So what pads yous guy recommend for the stock Jap tt front, with good stopping power, not so much dust and less noise

thanks

My German made fast road pads should fit the bill, many people here use them. I do a race material too, but dusty and noisy, although they have awesome bite and hang on into cherry red disc temp territory.

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Paul Laing

Surely the disks you mention are fine for Bpu without warping? your comparing these to your 700bhp+ ex Supra, oviously that will have a better chance to warp them......

Most people own Bpu supra's so these are more than fine, Brembo are quality, they come on Evo's and other cars as stock.

Paul

No I would do it a BPU too. They are known for warping

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

My German made fast road pads should fit the bill, many people here use them. I do a race material too, but dusty and noisy, although they have awesome bite and hang on into cherry red disc temp territory.

Chris do the race compound pads grip well at low temps as well, are they ok for normal day to day road driving?

:thumbs:

They work fine from stone cold, have a much higher Mu level (co-efficient of friction) than the fast road ones, but make serious dust and squeal. They are fine for road use if you can stand the noise and dust. I can get Performance Friction material pads water cut from bigger ones, but, AFAIK, PF don't list an off the shelf pad for the MKIV. These German pads are nearly as good though.

Originally posted by Branners

EBC recently supplied us with their EBC red stuff ceramic pads and their EBC yellow stuff pads.

Red Stuff Ceramics are a new forumlation and are a step up from normal red stuff pads.

Yellow stuff pads are for track use really.

I supplied both sets to Matt Harwood to try out on his car with UK spec brakes.

Hopefully Matt can give us more of an update as EBC pads are reasonably priced and if the red stuff ceramics work well then it might be a cheaper alternative.

JB

I've not really had too much time to get a feel for the Yellow stuff pads yet, as the car's been off the road for a while.

However, first impressions are quite strange. I was under the impression that the Red stuff pads were the trackday pads and the Yellows were the fast road compound... Now, that would have made sense to me, but now I'm confused!

When I first put the Red stuff pads on, my first impression was good. They gave an instant solid pedal feel, and worked relatively well from cold.

As they bedded in, the cold stop, wasn't as good as I'd first thought, but once they had some heat in them, they were good. I even tried a 160-40 full on stomp, and they still didn't fade. I also tried a bit of spirited driving and heavy braking, and they still seemed fine.

What I did find though, was that if you started to drive around slower, (normal driving in traffic), they seem to go back to their cold state, and less efficient.

The Yellow stuff are still on my car at the moment. First impressions of them, the pedal feel wasn't as solid as the Reds, but not soggy by any means. In fact, they feel like stock pads. They also seem to work like stock pads from cold too, giving a bit more confidence than the Reds, in that you don't seem to need to warm them up.

These are the pads I had on the car at Woodbridge, and as such tested them on the top speed runs. Again, a heavy slow down from 160+ down to about 40ish and they still didn't fade.

I haven't had a chance to do repeated fast stops yet...

And guess what... Me and my BPU car have warped another set of UK front disks :innocent:

There's probably a reason you are warping so many discs, and it may be wheel related. Are you on none stock rims? As an aside I have tried most every make of pad known, and beside taiwanese plain box *hit the EBC onnes run a close second. I once had an RX-7 FD and wanted to do a track day at Elvington. I couldn't get any PF pads and could only get EBC red stuff. A brand new set lasted less than the morning, and they faded before even one exploratory lap of somewhere i had never been before was completed. When I got some PF 93 compound pads they lasted 4 track days and the tyre valve caps would melt without them fading. If there is one preformance product where you get JUST what you pay for it's brake pads!

I am sure something could be done to help with the disc warpage though. Feel free to phone me if you like.

I've never tried the older EBC pads, and I have heard that the older ones are crap, but these are new compounds, and IMO a definate improvement over stock, (Well, the yellow ones anyway).

As for disk warping, I think it's just me and my driving, as I've done a set on the red car and another set on the yellow car, both different cars with different rims.

I think I just need to allow longer cooling times :innocent:

Originally posted by Matt Harwood

As for disk warping, I think it's just me and my driving, as I've done a set on the red car and another set on the yellow car, both different cars with different rims.

I think I just need to allow longer cooling times :innocent:

..or maybe drive less like a hooligan ? :innocent: :p

I did loads of track days in my auto J-Spec on stock discs with my race pads, and the discs never warped. Never warped discs in the FD or Skyline either, cracked plenty though... I don't think I have had more than 2 or 3 *warped* discs on race cars in 35 years of racing either. *MUST* be you, you mad man :D