The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Cam Gears

Paul Laing

Can these be put on my car without having HKS cams? I don't know much about cam gears and i think the HKS ones are adjustable, would they need set up correctly or could it be a DIY job?

I'm not thinking about performance gain, but looks. I think they would look great if i cut a gap in the engine cover so you could see them, having a purple engine bay :)

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Can these be put on my car without having HKS cams? I don't know much about Pulleys and i think the HKS ones are adjustable, would they need set up correctly or could it be a DIY job?

I'm not thinking about performance gain, but looks. I think they would look great if i cut a gap in the engine cover so you could see them, having a purple engine bay :)

Paul

It all has to come off Paul - why not get a cam belt change at same time!

:thumbs:

Is it just the top two that you have to buy or is there more hidden anywhere under the engine? I havn't looked yet, but it just looks like the top two.

Can these two just be changed? Or will it much up the performance? I love em :D

Cambelt was changed about 5k ago so thats ok :thumbs:

Mark - i would of bought it but mines in the bodyshop getting done, any pics though?

I really like the purple HKS cam gears, just for the looks ;)

they would look great in my purple engine bay.....

To polish up the stock ones, do these just unbolt off and bolt back on, they won't need setting up either will they? Thats an idea :)

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Mark - i would of bought it but mines in the bodyshop getting done, any pics though?

I really like the purple HKS cam gears, just for the looks ;)

they would look great in my purple engine bay.....

To polish up the stock ones, do these just unbolt off and bolt back on, they won't need setting up either will they? Thats an idea :)

Monkeys is same as this

more polishing 004.jpg

paul - i have the hks cam gears and have heard that they wear over time (i have mine exposed so that may be the reason!), something to do with the quality of metal used IIRC.

i believe the JUN cam gears are meant to be made of substantially better material. my 2p of course ........ :)

conventional wisdom dictates that you NOT expose the cam gears by cutting. if you must - get lexan covers so you can see them spinning. not sure what the jun ones go for but ask any of the traders on here and they should be able to get you a price. IIRC - they didn't cost much more than the HKS ones ... :)

I had the opportunity yesterday to inspect the cam gears of a supra that had them exposed. Simply running my finger along the teeth of the cam gear (obviously the engine wasn't running :innocent: ) demonstrated to me how much crap gets in there compared to how suprisingly clean mine are. It's not just "a big rock" that needs to get in there, it's the buildup of crud that will do the damage. Abrade, abrade, snap.

Lexan cover if you are intent on being completely J :)

-Ian

Cheers for the info guys, think I’ll give this a miss for now then, you pay a lot of money for the cam gears, they probably make no difference to performance, then you have to get them fitted and setup etc, then you expose the cam gears and risk the chance of ruining them or your engine.

Cheers,

Paul

Also of note, Terry "Vortex" Saunders also did some empirical testing on his old purple monster and found that 0deg and 0deg were the best balance between torque and bhp, so not much use having adjustable cam gears then :)

-Ian

Guest Terry S

I also had a set of HKS gear on there exposed which, after approx. 1 year had edges so sharp they took about 1/3rd of the teeth off the belt. Not happy, and HKS' answer was that they should NEVER have been left exposed. No warranty or anything. If I had HKS pistons it would have been very nasty

You have been warned!

Guest Terry S

Paul, as with most stuff on the MKIV Toyota got it right. They used steel rings unlike HKS' aluminium. This is what makes the Jun ones superior.

Originally posted by Ian C

Also of note, Terry "Vortex" Saunders also did some empirical testing on his old purple monster and found that 0deg and 0deg were the best balance between torque and bhp, so not much use having adjustable cam gears then :)

-Ian

What, the timings that Toyota would have spent a couple of hundred man hours and thousands of Yen working out? No way! :innocent:

Guest Terry S
Originally posted by Darren Blake

What, the timings that Toyota would have spent a couple of hundred man hours and thousands of Yen working out? No way! :innocent:

God bless America;)