The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Help Required (Re Immobilizer)

Abz

Morning All,

Right in a bit of a Dilemma here... I was stripping the dash happily yesterday to fit a new Dash which I got off Tony

here when I totally forgot that I have this aftermarket Laserline Immobilizer thingy stuck in my dash!

I thought it might be fairly easily to take it, might just need to unscrew a couple of small blots, maybe it will just be

like push out plugs or something simple but no!!! So here are my options I think. Can you guys sugguest what I could do? Pictures attached below:

Sorry about crappy pictures, taken with my phone late last time when I finally gave up the ghost!

1. Drill a hole in the old dash and then the head part will come through and Dash will be free!

2. Cut the wire in the middle and then rejoin again and Black tape it (worried about doing this).

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/4537/photonea.jpg

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5918/photo1btq.jpg

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3541/photo2lnr.jpg

Edited by Abz
Title & Grammer (see edit history)

Come on guys dont be shy! :)

Really could do with some advise... going out later today and meeting some girlfriends, would not look very good if everything is missing from my dash! :rolleyes:

Really tempted with the drill the dash option!

Do you want to keep the Laserline immobiliser? If so, I would snip the wires (not too close to the unit) and re-join them with bullet-style or spade-style crimp connectors. These connectors are designed to be separated and rejoined, so if you need to take the dash panel off in future it'll be much simpler.

Disconnect the battery before you snip the wires, to be safe.

Drilling the dash will free it from the old dash panel, but then you've still got the problem of how to fit it to the new dash panel.

Do you want to keep the Laserline immobiliser? If so, I would snip the wires (not too close to the unit) and re-join them with bullet-style or spade-style crimp connectors. These connectors are designed to be separated and rejoined, so if you need to take the dash panel off in future it'll be much simpler.

Disconnect the battery before you snip the wires, to be safe.

Drilling the dash will free it from the old dash panel, but then you've still got the problem of how to fit it to the new dash panel.

Thanks for the reply Stevie, I think I might be cutting it then.

I have decided not to stick it on the new dash panel, instead have it tucked away neatly but within easy reach.

If I disconnect the battery, won't loose any immobilizer settings would it?

How do you disarm the immobiliser? For example, on alarms that have an immoboliser built in, the remote key fob is usually pressed to send a radio signal to the immobiliser to disarm it. If yours works in a similar way, then you may just be able to tuck the round thing behind the dash panel. The only reason why you'd need it showing is if you need to physically touch it with a key of some kind.

If you don't need it visible, drill the old dash panel so it can come out, and simply tuck it away behind the new dash panel. If you do need it visible, then cut the wires as I suggested earlier.

Anyway, I would guess that disconnecting the battery shouldn't upset the immobiliser. It doesn't on mine. If it did, I would consider it to be a major design flaw: the battery is disconnected regularly enough for routine maintenance to make it a real pain if the immob lost its settings every time you did it.

It is one of the those older cat 2 alarms, there will be a little keyfob that needs to be push into the socket. I'd cut the wires and move the socket over to near the key barrel rather. Closer to the key and a little more out the way.

Unlugging the battery won't make a difference with that laserline system, it isn't very advanced.

It is one of the those older cat 2 alarms, there will be a little keyfob that needs to be push into the socket. I'd cut the wires and move the socket over to near the key barrel rather. Closer to the key and a little more out the way.

Unlugging the battery won't make a difference with that laserline system, it isn't very advanced.

Not very advanced?!?! Thats a worrying thing! Its a full closure system :tongue: but yes know what you mean!

I dont really need it as the remote keyfob unlocks\unalarms the car, but its needed if say I unlock the

car but do not start the car within 2 minutes of unlocking it switches it on.

Not very advanced?!?! Thats a worrying thing! Its a full closure system :tongue: but yes know what you mean!

I dont really need it as the remote keyfob unlocks\unalarms the car, but its needed if say I unlock the

car but do not start the car within 2 minutes of unlocking it switches it on.

Hmmm, if it has total closure it might not be the one I'm thinking of. I'd still move the socket over though.

ive got that its a cat one system and the bit on the dash is in case your fob is lost or broken . cut the wires it will be a lot easier in the future, before you do dissconnect the plug from the back of the alarm unit just un case you short something when cutting.

Thanks guys, took your advise & cut it! I am going to relocated under the footwell bit just in case I need it...

but at the moment seems to be fine without. Luckily the previous owner had the

spare set which I have put away.

Dash looks brilliant now!