Hi Guyz

Just a quickie

I need to get some tyres.

Currently got Fulken's fitted.

Are the Kuhmo Ecsta's any cop...?

If they are any good I can get 4 fitted for 450ish

Terry S
13-01-04, 10:51
They are good VFM, but there are much better tyres out there at a cost.

Marco
13-01-04, 10:54
I had Kuhmo's on my supra when I got it. They were OK on dry roads, but awfull when wet! I recall a nasty spin on a roundabout :twak:

I'd recommend to get some decent tires.

oxygene
13-01-04, 11:01
Right well I will go back to the Fulkens then....they have been excellent.

Stick like the $H!T in all weather so far :)

Nick@TC
13-01-04, 11:05
Cant you get Goodyear F1's for that money??

Terry S
13-01-04, 11:05
The Falkens I had were the worst tyre I have ever tried on my Supra. If you think the stick you really aren't trying hard enough;)

oxygene
13-01-04, 11:07
I assure you I was trying Terry..

My run down to Southampton at the weekend was proof of that.

Guyz who was at the front of the convoy...? well for most of the way anywayz....?

far
13-01-04, 11:18
Good year f1 gsd II - IMO

oxygene
13-01-04, 11:23
well as i said the fulken has been excellent

i think ive done about 15k miles on em.....

Terry S
13-01-04, 11:26
Originally posted by oxygene
well as i said the fulken has been excellent

i think ive done about 15k miles on em.....

The ones I had were GRB's. Yours may be different.

outatime
13-01-04, 11:27
I got some falkens on some alloys I bought, the nearside front split into two pieces when i was overtaking at 90mph.

Suffice to say I threw all four in the bin and got some Goodyear F1s on asap, they are superb.

oxygene
13-01-04, 11:43
Well the garage that I got em from before was McCarthy Toyota, who I am getting em through again.

outatime
13-01-04, 11:48
I should have added that my GY F1s came to 450ish fitted. I'm on stock 17" wheels...

:thumbs:

Nick
13-01-04, 12:01
Bridgestone SO3's - put those on and you're wonder how you lived without them...

oxygene
13-01-04, 12:01
Ahh well maybe next time, but as I said the fulkens have lasted ages....thats why i have gone back to em.

I bought 4xSO3's and they lasted 4500miles....i was much P!$$3D going on I spent 560 2 fit em :(

Bobbeh
13-01-04, 12:09
530? Is that all round? I got Eagle F1's for 99 each on stock 17's for rears.. and 224 with fitting + balancing. They were great.

oxygene
13-01-04, 12:15
Bridgestone SO3's - put those on and you're wonder how you lived without them... I hated em, they made the ride very unsafe and put the steering off etc. couldnt wait to get rid of em....

Worst tyres I have ever bought.

Nick
13-01-04, 12:21
Put the steering off and felt unsafe? Don't want to sound patronising but are you sure they were the correct size and were fitted properly?

Been using them since they came out and before that I had SO2's (had the Supe over 3 years), can't fault them really. I've had the car off the clock many times and at no point did it feel anything other than rock solid, the grip is superb. I was persuaded to try a set of Dunlops on the rear and wished I hadn't, back felt horrible in comparision

oxygene
13-01-04, 12:33
Supplied, fitted, balance, all the 80110x by micheldever tyres on the M27...

Used em before for Avon ZZ1's (calibra V6) and they did a great job so went back again for the SO3's.

Car just didnt feel right....kept em till they were ready for replacement which as I said was 4500 miles at which point i said i would never get anymore...

Gordon F
13-01-04, 12:41
Originally posted by Nick
Bridgestone SO3's - put those on and you're wonder how you lived without them...
I've got these - excellent grip wet and dry.

oxygene
13-01-04, 12:42
I must have had some crap ones then....ahh well....

The ones I had didnt grip or anything, must have been friday afternoon moulded

SkyJawa
13-01-04, 13:43
In all honesty Toyota aren't best to comment on tyres and neither are most tyre places. They never seem to really know what they are talking about/selling and I've shamed a fair few tyre places I've been too by knowing more than them!

I got a set of F1's (consistently come out top of surveys) and they were less than 400 quid for stock 17s.

At that price I wouldn't touch budget makes like Falken or Kumho, its simply not worth it.

Quite simply, F1's or Toyo Proxes T1-S/S03's are 3 of the top tyres out there, anything else is false economy.

Guyz who was at the front of the convoy...? well for most of the way anywayz....?

Well that doesn't say much does it - straight line. Most tyres will cope in a straight line!!! :p Plus we wanna keep our licence :p ;) Its about the grip offered in the wet and dry on roundabouts and corners etc, not just mway cruising mate!

oxygene
13-01-04, 13:47
Fair dooz okeez...I meant I wasnt going slow and when it comes to round about I slow down, but I dont crawl round em..

I hear what you are saying about the F1's and I do listen to what you guys advise. Maybe next time I will try something different.

For the moment I just need tyres firstly to get me through the MOT and secondly they have done me great so far.

Fifty
13-01-04, 17:36
:)
Im using Conti Sport Contact 2 anyone care to comment.
I like em and feel dead safe. 245 rear 235 fronts.

Fifty:D

Rob_B
13-01-04, 17:52
I've just had some Pirelli P0 Rosso tyres put on all round and they feel pretty pukka to me, wet and dry.

Rgds,
Rob.

BigMoistyturbo
13-01-04, 19:06
I ran conti sport contact 2's on my 325. 255/35/18's. Very grippy, couldn't fault them! They'll be going on my 18's when I get some banged on my supe!

oxygene
15-01-04, 09:31
Hi Guyz

Got my new tyres fitted yesterday, Falken GRB FK 451's

Check out http://www.1010tires.com/Falken_GRB_FK-451_tires.html

and

http://www.imoc.co.uk/tyres/TyreDetails.asp?ID=22
2 bad comments out of loads.

435 fitted and balanced.

Roy
15-01-04, 10:08
falkens aren't a bad tyre - the 451's especially IMO, not sure if they should be classed as budget tho ... part of the range maybe?

i would take the so2's over the so3's anyday ..

had contis on my m3 and they weren't bad i thought

currently have pzero rossos - can't find too much to fault

would like some pilot sport cups but can't get 'em at a decent price so will be going goodyears next .......

:)

oxygene
15-01-04, 10:12
The other thing which I think was great.

The place that changed em was McCarthy Toyota in Croydon, my main service agent.

They changed the last set of tyres at 112,000 miles and the ones they have just taken off at 129,955.

So the last set of tyres have done nearly 18,000 miles.

Not bad me thinks, and they were very good in all conditions, thus the reason I got some more.

Suprash
15-01-04, 10:57
As a few others have said, Im runnnig the Bridgestone SO2's, gerat tyre, especially in the dry, dont think I have had them loose traction yet round corners, I it feels like Im pushing hard, but then again compared to what Tel would do I probably drive like a girl ;) In the wet, there good, except roundabouts above 25mph, but then again so it probably every other tyre.

On the NA at the moment we have Falkens, quality make, obviously I dont want to be sticking SO2's on there either due to the cost, so can anyone recomend and good cheap'ish tyre......

oxygene
15-01-04, 11:27
I had Avon ZZ1's on my Calibras and Astras, they were pretty good.

umm I think I paid 58 per wheel

dunno if it helps

SkyJawa
15-01-04, 11:30
435 :eek: I paid 380 for my Eagles!

As for ZZ1's - you are joking right? These tyres are the worst most dangerous hedge jumpers I've ever had the misfortune to use, as bad as the tyres my supe came on. They had absolutely no wet grip in the slightest, no warning of breakaway, not good dry grip - all in all a joke of a tyre. Just do a search on scoobynet and try and find 1 favourable comment on them!!!! :eek:

Terry S
15-01-04, 11:35
I had Avon ZZ1's on my Calibras and Astras, they were pretty good.

Now I know you are taking the P1ss

outatime
15-01-04, 11:37
Originally posted by HISUPE
As for ZZ1's - you are joking right? These tyres are the worst most dangerous hedge jumpers I've ever had the misfortune to use, as bad as the tyres my supe came on. They had absolutely no wet grip in the slightest, no warning of breakaway, not good dry grip - all in all a joke of a tyre. Just do a search on scoobynet and try and find 1 favourable comment on them!!!! :eek:

:werd:

My Supra had ZZ3s on when I bought it, they were crap in the dry and dangerous in the wet - far too hard.

I wouldn't buy them if they were a fiver.

oxygene
15-01-04, 12:37
Now I know you are taking the P1ss
no im serious

had no real probs with em actually....

Suprash
15-01-04, 12:37
Guys, come on, what tyre would you recomend I put on the NA....!! What tyres are you NA's out there running ????

outatime
15-01-04, 12:51
I've not used them myself, but Toyo Proxes (T1-S?) are well regarded for a cheaper tyre.

I think Ibrar can supply them...

Suprash
15-01-04, 14:31
Originally posted by outatime
I've not used them myself, but Toyo Proxes (T1-S?) are well regarded for a cheaper tyre.

I think Ibrar can supply them...

Might have to give that man a bell....

far
15-01-04, 20:54
The other thing which I think was great.

The place that changed em was McCarthy Toyota in Croydon, my main service agent.

They changed the last set of tyres at 112,000 miles and the ones they have just taken off at 129,955.

So the last set of tyres have done nearly 18,000 miles.

Not bad me thinks, and they were very good in all conditions, thus the reason I got some more.

Dude looks like you are buying tyres for how long they will last - there are other (more important) contributing factors such as grip levels - if you are familiar with a brand then thats good but you should go on other people recomendations and try something different/better...especiallu considering you could have got F1's cheaper than what you paid for your Falkens + you are running 16 inch rims aswell arent you ?

Well at least its all sorted now and you are legal again.

Scooter
15-01-04, 21:47
Originally posted by Ashley Willis
Guys, come on, what tyre would you recomend I put on the NA....!! What tyres are you NA's out there running ????

i've got the Toyo's on at present, very good grip through the recent autumn / winter crap. Nothing to complain about except possibly a higher wear rate. However they weren't really any cheaper than F1's, so if you can get them in the sizes your after i'd go with them above the Toyo's.