PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 1 cat and no cats

mawby
09-12-03, 21:39
Just a quickie for anyone out there who's previously taken one cat off of their car, and at a later date taken the second cat off. Did it make a real difference to performance? I currently have the second cat removed and have been thinking about also removing the first, but I don't want the expense if it's not worth it.

LeeT
09-12-03, 21:52
apparently the first cat is the most restrictive so you should see some good gains.
im fitting first decat pipe on friday but not expecting too much as im uk spec

michael
09-12-03, 22:22
I ended up doing mine a cat at a time because I got sent the wrong front pipe to begin with... my summary:

1 cat removed = :)

2 cats removed = :D

You could definately tell the difference with 2 out over 1 and the exhaust note was nicer too (with NuR at least) - performance increases might be minimal but perceived gains are huge :cool:

qaisar
09-12-03, 22:29
but what about if using a boost controller to up boost, is it worth removing the 1st cat in those circumstances?

Chris Wilson
09-12-03, 22:59
Originally posted by qaisar
but what about if using a boost controller to up boost, is it worth removing the 1st cat in those circumstances?

Absolutely, yes. The removal of any restriction to breathing is good, especially one that acts as a heat sink and also work on an exothermic reaction priciple, so get rid of it :D

mawby
10-12-03, 08:14
Cheers for confirming what I thought, I'll add it to my shopping list for the new year. :D