The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HIDS in Jspecs

Guest DrifterWanaB

Guest DrifterWanaB

Hello yall,

any you folks fitted a HID kit into Jspec plastic headlights?

If so which kit/setup is recommended

Cheers :jester:

Hello yall,

any you folks fitted a HID kit into Jspec plastic headlights?

If so which kit/setup is recommended

Cheers :jester:

These are the bulbs you need for the J-spec headlights

Low Beam - 9005/HB3

High Beam - 9005/HB3

Fog Light - H3

I sell a very good quality Korean made HID kit, if you would like details just let me know.

Guest Artermis
It certainly is an excellent mod IMO too! :)

second that, HIDs are a must now. i dont like driving anything without HIDs now as the light level is soo much lower with ya average filament lamp.

would recommend running of what they call a wiring harness, so that your normal bulb wiring connector connects to a relay which switches power to the lights and the power is drawn straight from the battery. (plz note i havent actually fitted any to a supra before, but experiance with other vehicles)

you can buy them easily enough or not difficult to make up your own, but please make sure you fuse them.

this is done because to fire the HID bulb the ballast needs to give the bulb a good wack, kind of like the neon gas tubes in the strip light you typically find in an office environment they make a bit of a ping as they ignight. HIDs are kind of the same.

this current when drawn through the factory wiring loom can cause some harm so the current is draw staight from the battery with the harness, for safety. also helps keep a stable light output under load, like when at idle or with the stereo up loud you would notice the lights dim slightly, this wouldnt be good for the HID, so harness also helps here

when lit the HIDs dont draw any more current than a normal lamp, so if you got them hooked up through the factory wiring, dont panic

mayhave a loose connection if the flicker. shouldnt be too much to worry about. i had hids on my old car. love them think they cost 65 quid from china. bosch ones iirc

They may have had a Bosch sticker on them, if they have come from China at that price I can guarantee they won't really be Bosch though ;)

they were all stamped bosch made in germany and came in a bosch hid box.

There are loads of Philips, Bosch, etc. Chinese knock offs out there which look identical even down to the packaging, but are not in terms of quality. At that price I'd doubt they'd be genuine.