The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Will TTC cause problems

Mike M

I've decided to run the car in TTC all the time now as I was fed up with the constant doubt in my head that the sequential system was running ok. Plus I was getting fed up listening to tubby 1 all the time and it's running like a dream this way.

Will running TTC on my stock TT cause engine problems over time? I was wondering if it causes overfuelling when No1 is supposed to be spooling.

Cheers

Mike

I had mine mapped in TTC by Ian. I loved it. At the 3800rpm change over point in the stock ECU, i beleive Ian had to add quite a bit of fuel as both turbos are already online.

If you do have a piggy back or standalone ECU, you can add quite alot if timing to, which does make a hell of a difference.

I would get the fuelling set up to get the best out of it. I've done it and love it :)

I'm guessing I'd need some sort of fuel controller and a little mapping then Yeah?

I love it plus its louder and I still have both cats in although I want to remove the centre one soon.

What kinds of fuel controllers are out there mate, I'm not really up to speed with these things. I know of the HKS FCON.

In the meantime tho and due to me being a bit distracted with the other car at the moment, am i damaging it. The boost spike doesnt seem too bad.

The boost spike is caused by both tubbies spooling up and hitting uncontrolled boost just before the wastegate VSV is told to open by the ECU to calm things down abit to the normal 0.8bar.

Think its far more of an issue on BPU cars but I believe a boost controller smooths this out.

I'd need to get that boost guage fitted thats on the list. LOL. It just sounds like a little over spin and then the wastegate quickly controls it. Not enough to make me think "fecking ell she's gonna blow" That happened when the crappy silicon wastegate hose got kinked.:)

I'm not keen on full BPU its fast enough really just want more noise. The seq system is out the game for me, I've got a either a leaking hose round the back of the engine or the pressure tank is starting to go. Tubby 2 doesnt feel strong in 1st gear when required for the first time. Its like the EGBV isn't opening quick enough.

Thats another reason why i like TTC.:D

The spike is a well known issue with TTC...

When mine did it it was different to the way Mike is describing it. Mine didn't drop back down to what felt "right" but then I had a boost gauge so possibly saw the whole thing in a different light. An EBC is a must for TTC though, as you rightly say the spike DOES happen. I thought the fact that he still had cats in may make the car respond differently to TTC.