The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cambelt and non-interference

Golddigga

The theory is correct, non interfearance for the STOCK TT engine.

Accept:-

1. Running alto of boost with weak valve springs

2. Weak valve springs

3. Higher compression pistons

4. Head skimmed past tollerance

5. Miss adjusted timing

Hoep this helps.

ONLY buy a toyota belt.

So, I have an M plate 1994 N/A Supra - Do I take it from the replies that my engine is non-interference?

dont let it get to the point where you have to find out ;) but yeah it should be non interferance :)

Thanks guys.

Basically I have a silver stick on my cambelt cover with some Japanese writing on it and 100km written on it, which equates to 60k miles.

A previous thread when I first got the car seemed to suggest that this indicated that the belt may have been changed when imported, which would fit with the mileage when it came in.

I am now on 88k miles and only use the car at weekends so mileage is low. Cash is a bit tight at the mo and I was just trying to assess my risk!

Thanks again.

Thanks guys.

Basically I have a silver stick on my cambelt cover with some Japanese writing on it and 100km written on it, which equates to 60k miles.

A previous thread when I first got the car seemed to suggest that this indicated that the belt may have been changed when imported, which would fit with the mileage when it came in.

I am now on 88k miles and only use the car at weekends so mileage is low. Cash is a bit tight at the mo and I was just trying to assess my risk!

Thanks again.

The proper toyota belt should be good for around 60k miles / 5 years.. If it indeed has had a change at 100k kilo's... then you should be okay for a while. For peace of mind have a look at the belt and ensure that it hasn't frayed or looks damaged in anyway.

N that case you have to ask yourself why there is so little piston to valve clearance and why the pistons are machined with valve pockets so large and so close to the piston bottom. Good luck anyway.

:eek: Sorry with my non-tech brain - what does this mean?

For the TT engine.

You need to have a valve being pushed 10mm's at TDC for a stock engine to become interference.

AFAIK the only cams on the market to do this are the JUN 272 10.8mm lift cams.

Obviously if you change the head for a skimmed one you reduce the point at which intereference can happen...

As extracted from the Maintenance and Service information from Toyota....

As you can clearly see the 2jz-gte(TT) and 2jz-ge (NA), are NOT listed with a (2) next to them, ie they are not interference engines.

So, golddigga, don't panic....

And here is some more proof (Should that not be sufficient for some people)..

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=1176150&postcount=6

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=88804&highlight=interference

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=2480&highlight=interference

extract.GIF