The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank pulley split in two!

Guest g3dar

Have a wee problem !!!! My crank pulley fell apart on the way home from work today, and destroyed the fan in the process.

If anyone can help I need a fan and a pulley.

I haven't got the pulley nut off yet, and think the breaker bar and starter method might be called on. I only have a 2ft breaker bar. Do you think this will be enough?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

I haven't got the pulley nut off yet, and think the breaker bar and starter method might be called on. I only have a 2ft breaker bar. Do you think this will be enough?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

in a word no!

you'll need at least another tube over the top of this (scaffold pole is my weapon of choice)

There is a good thread on here about changing the cambelt with details of how to remove the pulley etc......

i'll have a look for you......

Have a wee problem !!!! My crank pulley fell apart on the way home from work today, and destroyed the fan in the process.
On the bright side, you were lucky. One guy crashed his car when the same thing happened to him last week. Apparently it left him with no power steering just as he was cornering.

Thanks for your response guys, think i'll just get a garage to do it. It's going in for a clutch on monday so i'll ask them to do that as well.

Cheers

Two crank pulleys gone within one week :(

Hope you get it sorted out soon

Must be the cold weather. The rubber must just be perishing.

If any of you guys have a squealing fan belt like noise just now,

CHECK THE PULLEY

Im the one who crashed the car due to pulley coming off the pulley new from toyota is nearly £200 an i got the bolt for around £7 from my local car spares an the belt from toyota is £47 and from my local car spares £12 so big difference in prices dependin on where u go

Im the one who crashed the car due to pulley coming off the pulley new from toyota is nearly £200 an i got the bolt for around £7 from my local car spares an the belt from toyota is £47 and from my local car spares £12 so big difference in prices dependin on where u go

I got an underdrive pulley from ebay for £30 and a fan from Pro Alloys for £15. All in the post. I know the issues around these pulleys but just need it back on the road ASAP!

Feel pretty lucky compared to what happened to you mate. guttin!

do you not hear these breaking up guys?

You might here the noise but theres nothing to say you know what it is.

I thought it was the tensioner pulley needing a new bearing. I had that replaced just before the crank pulley broke. I did quieten down to be fair.

Nutkin had squeeling for only two days and thought also that it was the tensioner pulley. Then without any further warning off it came and off he went :(

If you do get a second hand crank shaft pulley be very careful of the condition of it and please make sure that whoever removed it from another car did not use heat of any kind to remove the centre bolt. Oh yes and just to mention that Nutkin discovered that the bolt is NOT left hand threaded as Toyota Main Dealers said it would be