The mkiv Supra Owners Club

wobble in rear

big neil LSD

I'm having new rear shocks on Friday because mine is very unhappy on motorways etc. and the back end feels like it moves about a lot.

Phoenix diagnosed that it needs new rear shocks - but while the guy was driving it and was telling me it was the rear shocks, he said he'd had some turbos before that did exactly what you're describing. If the rear shocks are worn, they can't cope with the torque.

You might want to have a look at this one:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=89069&

I have a lovely red NA parked on my drive at the moment with the same problem, it's getting new rear upper suspension arms on Wednesday, will report back (pretty much everything else has already been checked / replaced by the meticulous previous owner).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wheel bearing? im having the same problems and thats what it may point to even though there isnt any evident noise or play in the bearing. unfortunately unless you diagnose the exact problem, its gonna get pretty expensive pretty quickly as i think the only real way to sort this similar issue is to change every arm, linkage & bush.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
:) :) :) hey found out what the problem was it was the small tie arm with a ball joint and bush on it. runs from hub inwards.different car now. going to replace other side £83 from toyota. :D

Neil, which part was it? You have a Part Number or Nomenclature? Here is a picture from a related thread:

Can u circle or chose the PN? Also, is yours a TT? You're not alone with this problem as there are many threads on this.

rearsuspensionepclz5.jpg

Thanks Chris. I've been waiting for you to figure this one out for the 10 of us who have this problem. Does this entire are have to be replaced, or can new bushes be pressed in? I hear the R2 kit is excellent.

It's the ball joint that wears, so you must buy the whole arm. I would do both sides, if one's worn the other won't be far behind.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Chris/big neil!

I've been having this issue lately after doing some other work, and was trying to work out which bit to replace. As always, the mailing list has the answer... :)

Out of interest, I wonder are all the ppl who've been having this problem driving 'early' MKIV's? Mine's an 08/93 (140,000 miles) and it seems to be reaching 'That Age'. I've had no major problems with it for the eight/nine years I've owned & abused it, and suddenly had to spend €4000+ on new bits over the last year or so!

Regards,

Andy.

Thanks Chris/big neil!

I've been having this issue lately after doing some other work, and was trying to work out which bit to replace. As always, the mailing list has the answer... :)

Out of interest, I wonder are all the ppl who've been having this problem driving 'early' MKIV's? Mine's an 08/93 (140,000 miles) and it seems to be reaching 'That Age'. I've had no major problems with it for the eight/nine years I've owned & abused it, and suddenly had to spend €4000+ on new bits over the last year or so!

Regards,

Andy.

Mine too. 93 Jspec. Vin ends in 1611. One of the oldest in the club I believe.

Chris - I've bought the rear lower control arms, and I have to put them in myself. Any words of wisdom? I've read in the manual that the axles have to come out. Thanks as always. One of these days, I'm going to make the journey to see you.

Mike