The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost gauge plumbing

Chris and Alana

Hi guys, this toppic is probably talked about alot but I done a search and couldnt find the info I was needing. I fitted a boost gauge in place of my clock and wired it into the cig wiring loom, which works fine but I 'T' in the vac tube onto the vac tube off the dump valve, is this bad/wrong? because i found a web page that says it should be 'T'd into a vac pipe near the throttle body but does it really make much if any difference? :help:

I think the favourite place to T off is the stock turbo pressure sensor hosing off the throttle body.

This might help

Or someone else may be able to provide a better location...?

Thank's for the link, very usefull :D but I have already plumbed mine into the vac tube off my dump valve and was needing to know if this is ok or would I have to extend my vac tube and T in into the vac tube off the throttle body? whats the difference? :bang:

http://img83.exs.cx/img83/8710/boost.jpg

The hose marked in red goes to my boost gauge.

The sensor with the green label on top(turbo pressure sensor), I pulled the hose from this and connected a couple of inches of new hose onto the sensor.

Connect all 3 ends with a T piece:

1. Existing hose which you pulled off the sensor.

2. New hose (2 inches) which you've just fitted to the sensor.

3. New hose which runs to your boost gauge.

Can you see the T piece (it's white) and the three hoses?

Doesn't really make any difference - a vac-reference pipe is going to be the same just about anywhere. In theory you will get a quicker and more accurate response, the closer you are to the manifold, due to pressure waves. In practice it makes no difference for the pressures and piping diameters we are talking about, not for a gauge anyway.

Its the blue pipe to the right of the one T'd off above Pete!! Leave well alone, even though mkiv.com tells you this is the one to use

Just for the record, mine is t'd off the BOV actuator pipe with no problems whatsoever and is very accurate

So am I rong to leave it plumbed into my dump valve vacume hose? Will I get false readings?

nope totally fine

thanks very much mikey, my mind is finally at ease. It seems most people take it from close to the throttle body but i figured the pressure should be the same allong all the vac lines. I have changed my standard valve and replaced it with a HKS SSQV and T'd in off the vacume tube. So everything should be fine and accurate? Thanks for all the input guys, very helpfull :clap: