The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Progressive Power Steering

Dr_Doom

Hi,

Been having loads of problems lately with the progressive power steering randomly flicking on and off.. not much fun when going round corners at 70+ leptons :) At the moment i'm pretty sure it's either,

1) Dodgy speedo converter (not been able to find it yet to check though)

2) Dry solder on the Odo (pretty sure all the connections are good though)

3) Most likely! - I've yanked a wire loose somewhere behind the dash. I've had the dash off lots just lately which makes me suspicious. I'm trying to trace all the wires so i can can check.

Does anyone know the location of the progressive power steering plug (see attached image) as this might be loose.

Symptoms for anyone who can offer advice;

• I've had Error 42 & warning light - only twice in a few months though
  • I've tried the error 42 wire fix but the power steering stayed feather light
  • I've inspected the odo circuit & resoldered lots of connections (just in case)
  • I've checked the plug that goes to the odo & it seems fine (is there any way of confirming this with a multi-meter?)
  • Not yet checked the speed converter but this isn't behind the dash where i was messing with wires (prob in pass footwell)
  • Steering seems to change when i go over a big bump etc so makes me think loose wire.
  • when driving, once the steering has gone light, even if it returns to normal, the revs will drop v.low on idle. The car has cut out on 2 occasions. This resets once the ignition is switched on & off
  • The odometer is counting up fine, but in Kms. I'm sure, but not 100% positive that it was counting up in Mph.
  • The speed converter is not a Thor one
    [/List]

Please don't post saying 'do a search there's loads of info' or linking me to the 'error 42' thread. That’s not helpful. I've spent the last 4weeks sitting up all night looking through all the threads and threads of info and i've still not managed to fix it. Any help you can give will be very much appreciated :)

Cheers,

Rob

wiring diagram.jpg

Most problems like this turn out to be the speed converter/delimiter.

It's definitely where I'd start looking. As for location, it could be behind the speedo or close to the ECU in the passenger footwell.

If it's not a THOR (TRL) one, I'd replace it as a matter of course TBH. Most of the other ones are crap.

Just looked at your diagram, its a thor drawing. Why not phone Pete Betts at THOR, 0845 2605760 he's very approachable and could probably tell you exactly where the progressive power steering plug is located.

Think its on the right side behind the dash somewhere, never really looked for it as yet but I'm pretty sure its round there somewhere. You sure one of your wires isn't loose or damaged on the rack?

I don't think i've been near the steering rack but i guess it's worth a check. Where do the wires plug into it? behind the dash or under the bonnet/car?

@geoffvalenti - I've got a feeling it's probably to do with the speed converter & i think i'm going to fit a Thor one anyway as i've heard they keep the PPS functioning correctly. I'll need to find & take the old one out first though & return the wiring to normal. Hope it's not a massive job. I've looked behind the speedo & dash but can't see it. I'm hoping it’s in the passenger footwell as i haven't checked there yet. I will give Pete Betts a call though to see if he can help.

I'm guessing that if i remove the old speedo converter and the problem still exists then it's got to be something else. Odometer or other wire/plug loose.

Thanks for your advice guys it's appreciated. I'll get this sorted one way or another,

Rob :)

Hi, thanks for the replys

I nipped outside at dinnertime to have a look. The wires look ok going into the steering rack & the grey plug just up from it wasn't loose. Apart from a visual inspection & pulling the plug apart, how could i check if it's faulty? Will be going home at 3.30 so i'll see if it's any different. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Now fixed :D

Turns out it must have been a dry solder in the Odo after all. The Code 42 fix i tried suggested by Dave on this thread didn't work http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=72588&highlight=error

I have now updated that thread with a diagram showing how i fixed mine.

Thanks for all your advice and help. It was much appreciated :)

I'm just glad that it's all fixed and working properly.