The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cooling.

b_have

With all this hot weather and track days looming, decided to improve the cooling system. First off, fitted a TRD racing thermostat, then removed the oem rad and fitted a huge Mocal tranny cooler (in addition to the cooler fitted under the headlight).Then, coolwrapped the intercooler pipework (amazing how hot these get right in front of the fans).Fitted a turbo blanket and ducted cold air to the compressor hsg. Finally fitted a Fluidyn rad with total seal ducting.

Result, coolant temps now steady at 98C @1.6bar pulls,(were 107C) thermo controlled fans switch off at over 60mph. Job done :)

Supra cooling 001 (Large).jpg

Supra cooling 003 (Large).jpg

Supra cooling 004 (Large).jpg

Supra cooling 014 (Large).jpg

Supra cooling 015 (Large).jpg

Supra cooling 016 (Large).jpg

Charlie,

Looks good and something that I've been looking into lately but be aware the heater matrix can give up if you push the coolant pressure too high. Also Jarrett advised me not to fit a turbo blanket on the PHR turbo in addition to the heat coating that's on there.

Charlie,

Also Jarrett advised me not to fit a turbo blanket on the PHR turbo in addition to the heat coating that's on there.

he said similar to me, said the black coating was better than blankets and wrap, i still put a blanket on mine and fully heat wrapped the manifold and exhaust (right upto the gear box rear)

cooler the better

Agree....you have too much...

Now the next question is do you have enough time to sell this as a kit, with full installation?? :)

Took me hours, infact a few evenings. would hate to do that for a living, those guys sure earn their money.

Charlie,

Looks good and something that I've been looking into lately but be aware the heater matrix can give up if you push the coolant pressure too high. Also Jarrett advised me not to fit a turbo blanket on the PHR turbo in addition to the heat coating that's on there.

My Kit came without heatcoat (not sure they were using it when I bought the kit 5 years ago.

Think I would still use as much heat containment as possible around the hotside.

Took me hours' date=' infact a few evenings. would hate to do that for a living, those guys sure earn their money.[/quote']

Agree!

Do you have pics of the process that you went through?? I would definitely be interested in doing some parts of it.

Maybe a "an idiots guide to cooling..."? :blink:

Agree!

Do you have pics of the process that you went through?? I would definitely be interested in doing some parts of it.

Maybe a "an idiots guide to cooling..."? :blink:

I am a hopeless photographer, so only have a few. None of this is rocket science, basically I am aiming to keep the hotside (turbo/manifold) as hot as possible (heat is spooling energy) and the coldside (Direct external cold feed/compressor/ic pipework/fmic/throttlebody) as cold as possible.

Hotside MUST be lagged and heatshielded with correct materials, high temp lagging is available from most motorsport outlets. Coldside insulation is easier (I used an old hood insulation sheet to wrap the ic pipework and used alloy tape and duct tape to seal.

Most important area is the ducting from in front of the fmic and between the fmic and coolers/rad.

It is vital to completely seal these areas so that ALL the airflow must pass through the ic /coolers/rad. This can be a little tricky, I used a huge polythene bag to form a removable 'plug' using expanding foam. This produces an oem like perfect seal.

Also made an undertray from plastic sheet and bonded it to the underside of the nosecone.This creates a low pressure area at the rear of the undertray which aids the cooling flow.

CIMG0024.JPG

SANY0056 (Large).JPG

well done b'have a man after my own heart i'me a bit of a cooling anorak as well watch that sponge i used some from work i found and it just crumbled away after a few months with the heat so i used 1mm ally sheet and plated and ally taped everything