The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto gear lever change....???????

Guest xsisuprax

Guest xsisuprax

how difficult is it to change the auto gear lever,, only got a non-turbo supra, but this job needs doing as the old one looks tatty as a tramp..

any help, advice, tips would be spot on...

cheers si

its pretty tricky mate .... took me a while and lost some blood/tissue/sweat...

1... take off the dash surrounding the gear knob + ashtray etc

2 unscrew the 4 screw holding the gear lever assembly on

3 prize the black bit under the gear knob down gently to reveal two screws ... take them off

4 prize gently the black gear button bit (with the over drive button) off... it will hang by a wire

5 trace the blue wire down the gear lever then around the back of the gear lever then it goes into a blue Toyota connector.

6 try and undo this with out attacking it to much... i mad e a right mess of mine... when the blue wire are disconnected pull them back up around the gear box... remember it path...

7 pull the wires out of the gear knob and then feed back into your new gear knob ,,,

8 replace new gear knob on top of the lever trace the route back to the blue toyota connector ... reconnect it

9 screw everything back together

10 put dash back

11 done get a beer :thumbs:

its a bit of a bitch but well worth it

this instructions are not great but its how i did it

hope it helps

n00b

• 1 year later...

Trying to replace my gear lever with a new one i recieved from Nic (cheers Nic, very nice).

However, ive done most of what Noob pointed out, but where do you disconnect the wiring from without having to hack the damn gear knob apart?

I cant see where im supposed to trace the wiring down to, or where to disconnect from? GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Elp!

Trying to replace my gear lever with a new one i recieved from Nic (cheers Nic, very nice).

However, ive done most of what Noob pointed out, but where do you disconnect the wiring from without having to hack the damn gear knob apart?

I cant see where im supposed to trace the wiring down to, or where to disconnect from? GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Elp!

O/D wire I presume?

I seem to remember snipping mine carefully at a strategic position below the stick and rejoining it later... I'm pretty sure this is how most people have done theirs.

Cheers Ben.

So do you cut it at the welded part?

Dammit, should have left this to a pro.

I havent got a solder nor would i reall wanna attempt it myself. :eek:

Guess i will wait untill i can get it to my mechanics or somthing.

Pain in the butt, got most of it apart already.