The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AirCon clutch not working - no error codes

Jake

The AirCon on my 6sp TT doesn't work. The clutch in the centre of the compressor isn't engaging.

I've had it checked and the system is pressurised. (Thanks Squiffy!)

I did the diagnostic check (Turn ignition on while holding down 'AUTO' and 'Recirc/FreshAir' buttons) but there are no reported errors and the AUTO button flashes steadily, which means NORMAL.

I've tried disconnecting the pressure switch by the ABS pump but all that does is make the small radiator fans come on.

I've tried tapping the front of the compressor's clutch with an extension bar while the engine is running and the AC is on but that didn't seem to do anything.

I'm out of ideas now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry, forgot to say that Squiffy tested the four connector socket that plugs into the back of the compressor with a voltmeter but it was completely dead.

I wonder if this could be to do with the piggy back Motec ECU. Hmmmm

My aircon isn't functioning either at the moment..I think it needs a re-gas, but to make sure the compressor was Ok I performed a small check/test.

In the fuse box there is a specific relay for the Compressor clutch, right hand relay nearest the wing if you will.:)

Take the relay out, start the engine then get a small piece of wire. Then you need to link out the contact terminals (that are shown on top of the relay), this will energize the coil on the clutch to engage it. This will prove obviously that the compressor is OK and not seized. If it is OK then perhaps you have a faulty relay if no other codes show up??

Just beware though if the compressor has seized this little test may cause the belt to squeal:) :rolleyes:

cheers Jon..

theres a fuse in fascia 1 F2 (7.5 amps) but that controls all of AC system i.e relays and control switches. then you have a AC clutch relay which is located on plate no1 relay no KI43. i'm not sure exactly of its location but the pics i have show it on the nearside bulkhead i think its on the inside by the heater blower motor.

Sorry, forgot to say that Squiffy tested the four connector socket that plugs into the back of the compressor with a voltmeter but it was completely dead.

I wonder if this could be to do with the piggy back Motec ECU. Hmmmm

I *think* the way the air con clutch works normally is the air con amplifier switches a connection to the ECU to ground when the switch is on. The ECU then knows to raise the idle, and it switches another connection to ground which energises the relay. So it could be something to do with your Motec I guess.

That's not a question.

Go start your own thread Sonny Jim :D

pmsl, edited below just for you mate,If i start my own thread no one will answer....so im just gonna borrow yours for a little bit :D

i removed 2x 30amp fuses from either efi1 and efi2 or AM2.

but as i didnt know which 2 it was i got a 3rd fuse and stuck it in all 3

what effect will this have?

In the fuse box there is a specific relay for the Compressor clutch, right hand relay nearest the wing if you will.:)

Is that the one marked MG CLT on this diagram?

How do you get these relays out? I pulled it really hard but it won't come out