The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blown front crank seal :(

b_have

There is actually a new crank seal that look almost %99 like the stock

crank seal but Toyota doesn't sell it!, the stock crank seal is made by NOK part number BH4513F, the new crank seal I found is part number BH4513E also

by NOK, this new crank seal fits tighter into the oil pump body in compression to the loose fit of the stock crank seal

Taken From SPF but I'm sure someone said it here too..hope it helps.

mate look at the revs ;) that must of contributed to it. Stock is 6800rpm redline :)

True, but is it down to oil pressure or crankcase pressure? i am now subscribing to the oil pressure cause now,since mine went,and i also think that running oil level right to the top of the max mark is a contributing factor.

Oh there is also drilling and tapping three to seven small screws around the seal and using washers to overlap the seal to prevent it popping out, but that still will not stop the inner lip failing like mine did.

Taken From SPF but I'm sure someone said it here too..hope it helps.

Thanks Mig, I used NOK when I worked for Kawasaki, will check with them on Monday.

I was about to fit a second large breather hose from the hotside cc as I had a feeling this might be a cause at high rpm. Only seeing around 7bar oil pressure over 7000rpm so maybe not an oil pressure issue.

Charlie,

Exactly what have you got running from where to where with regards to breathers?

What boost we're you pushing and any chance you were detonating at all?

Running stock 90deg breather fitting (hotside) piped to just before the compressor. Going to fit a second one on the same side at the rear.

Maxed out at 1.65bar on 103ron fuel (no det)

Charlie, why don't you fit temporarily a boost pressure gauge for crank breathing? The oil filler tube might be a convenient location.

It will show you if under load there are situations that the crankcase gets pressurised.

I hope you agree: Theories are nice, but actual measurements are better;)

One thing that baffles me about the 2JZ engine is the low rev limit? its an in line six good dynamic vibration cancellation, its has square bore and stroke and has solid valve lifters, so why the hell is the RPM limited to 6800?? even the SR20DET which is four pot and has hydraulic lifters + rocker arms still manages 7400 rev limit.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you sorted this yet mate?

The front crank seal has gone on mine, and I'd like the uprated one if there is such a thing.

Question, where abouts on the dipstick do you keep your oil level? and what grade of oil do you use?

Since my seal went i have a theory as i mentioned above that oil grade and level is a big contributing factor, as i changed from 5W30 to 10W40 (and yes i know its not a big difference) and i now think its very easy to overfill if the car is not level and you run the oil at the top/full mark, i have since run my boost at 1.4 bar (not intensionally) and if there was a crankcase pressurisation/blow by problem, i think i would be replacing the seal by now, I'm not saying that this is a reason on all engines, but i do think it may be a possibility on some.

crankcase pressure is not normally related to oil pressure, its normally ring blowby or the breather system not working properly, but with our engines it appears to be a mystery and raising the rev limit certainly dosent help.

My engine oil has always been 10w 40 chrono 300v, its always at the top level on the dipstick. My front crank seal is not pissing out everywhere, its only a slight leak, I don't think the seal has failed due to pressure, I believe its failed due to age, simple as that.

Grrrrr, had this happen to me about 3 times when i was running twins.

Since going single its been fine!

Two things that i changed when going single that could of contributed to stopping this for me:

1: changed from 10/40 oil to 5/30!

2: breather on rocker vented to air now?

Scott

One thing that baffles me about the 2JZ engine is the low rev limit? its an in line six good dynamic vibration cancellation, its has square bore and stroke and has solid valve lifters, so why the hell is the RPM limited to 6800?? even the SR20DET which is four pot and has hydraulic lifters + rocker arms still manages 7400 rev limit.

I've wondered about this myself.

Also Toyota's firm recommendation on SAE 30 (thinner than average)

Maybe it's also related to the low idle speed it settles comfortably once warmed up. The designers must have had a lot of confidence on the oil pressure. (which could turn into a problem once their redline is exceeded)

There are other question marks I've still got about the design. Like why they went to such lengths to keep the engine bay freakin hot (ambient+25C ~ ambient+35 typically, depending on vehicle speed). I've tried to undo this - with not much success ultimately- until I realised that it pulls so much better once the underbonnet temps get silly. Looks like they relied on this heat for full atomisation.

Well someone needs to edit the FAq in the technical specifications section of oil reccomendations. I went with what it reccomended for my car 10/40.

I had no idea Toyota firmly reccomend 30 weight oil otherwise I'd have gone with that.

If this is the cause of my crank seal failure, I'll not be too happy.