The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more problems and running out of time, please help!!!

Guest gzaerojon

Guest gzaerojon

the soops all running but i have a major problem with the coolent system, i just took it for a spin and came back, bonnet up to see if everything ok and the large radiator pipe feels pumped up solid, im a bit worried :(

just to give you an idea of what happened to the car last time i used it

i have gone bling, so have replaced the inlet manifold and tb, also all turbo pipes and boost hoses, all vacume hoses and a bling overflow tank.

the temp while running is just above half way mark

any ideas? i need her running by tmrw eve to go up to turbofit

Guest gzaerojon
put heater in car on hot and fan on full . take rad cap off but be carful as it hot and under pressure can be dangrous! as you will get coverd in hot water. then let it run till up to temp hold it about 2000 rpm for a min . that should sort it mate

ok cool, i'll give that a try :)

its strange this has happened as i've had no pipes off or anything :(

can these get an air lock just for sitting there a few months?

Guest gzaerojon

can a water system get this amount of pressure from an air lock?

im praying its not the head gasket, i cant see how though as it was perfect before it went in the garage, and i've only done a couple of miles since it was finnished

i cant see a problem here mate you say the temp is reading normal, the top radiator hose will be solid (and hot) when you have warmed the engine up dont forget the cooling system is pressurised this is how it stops water that is locally (round the exhaust etc) hotter than 100 degrees from flashing to steam (very bad) so when you stop the engine obviously you still have pressure in the system till it cools down, i have had my cooling system drained down several times and never experienced any bleeding issues

Guest gzaerojon

it has cooled down a little now and the pressure has dropped very slightly, but it just doesn't seem right for that top pipe to be that plump (for want of a better word) also it used to take ages to get up to normal running temp, but i started her up, about 1 min later started to pull away and notice the gauge already showing just over half way.

i might just be a little over worried as i had an rs turbo (i know lol but i was young) and this had a simular problem where it pumped up the system and this turned out to be the head gasket leaking from a bore into the water system.

where would i find the thermostat btw?

it has cooled down a little now and the pressure has dropped very slightly, but it just doesn't seem right for that top pipe to be that plump (for want of a better word) also it used to take ages to get up to normal running temp, but i started her up, about 1 min later started to pull away and notice the gauge already showing just over half way.

i might just be a little over worried as an rs turbo (i know lol but i was young) and this had a simular problem where it pumped up the system and this turned out to be the head gasket leaking from a bore into the water system.

where would i find the thermostat btw?

could you take a picture of your "plump" pipe :eyebrows: follow the bottom hose up to its housing and that is where the stat is

Guest gzaerojon
could you take a picture of your "plump" pipe :eyebrows: follow the bottom hose up to its housing and that is where the stat is

thanks Paul, i'll have to leave till the morning now as i lost the light :( but will follow up tmrw :)

Jon the thermostate i belive is on the turbo side of the car behind the water pump. Excuse the picture but incased in a bit of pipework which is in red. Yellow is where the stat lives. The ssame plaace as where Paul says but coming from the other direction :D

You could have a quick go at flushing the system out. Otherwise drive it up and take it easy and keep an eye on the temps.

en.JPG

Guest gzaerojon

cheers guys, i'll have another look tmrw, i'm starting to think its just me

Emin how pumped up would you say they get when warmed up? like a bicycle tyre?

cheers james, looks like a bugger to get to, there's probably nothing i can do with it without unbolting stuff, i think i'll start it tmrw with the cap half turned and the heater on and see what happens

Guest gzaerojon

ok i just started it again, it got to running temp in 2 mins, heater red hot.

i just had a word wit Greg at turbofit he said its not right, also im now leaking drips on the top pipe because of the pressure so we're going for a jammed thermostat, so when it cools in taking the stat out and leaving it out

thats the only logical thing it can be

Guest gzaerojon

all sorted now, it was a dodgy thermostat that was causing the problem, so i've launched it for now and im running without it :D

as long as i get to turbofit they can fit a new one and check it all out

thanks for all your help guys :)

all sorted now, it was a dodgy thermostat that was causing the problem, so i've launched it for now and im running without it :D

as long as i get to turbofit they can fit a new one and check it all out

thanks for all your help guys :)

nice one mate that "plump" hose cant of been pleasant:D