The mkiv Supra Owners Club

speedo converter question for vvti

jot_ie

This speedo converter

http://www.ncs-systems.com/details.php?pID=1213

Has anyone used it or know anything about it

I sent them an email and this is what I got back

John,

Thank you for your enquiry (received both mails - still clearing a back log of enquiries).

The SpeedM8 converter will work fine with your Supra. It works by converting the input signal to the speedometer to produce a MPH readout, while maintaining the output signal as original until the roadspeed exceeds aprox 105 MPH. At this point, the ouput speed frequency is locked to a constant frequency which has the effect of defeating the factory set speed limit.

As soon as the road speed falls below the locked point, the output frequency returns to normal, ensuring that peripheral systems work as intended.

To order a converter for your vehicle, follow the link below and enter your details via the checkout.

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Regards

Does this sound ok for a vvti 6speed?

John

Interesting looking gizmo, not seen that before.

The bits that are important:

As soon as the road speed falls below the locked point, the output frequency returns to normal, ensuring that peripheral systems work as intended.

I wonder how the peripheral systems behave above this point? What is the speed range is for the speed sensitive steering? If it's between say 30 and 90 then that should be ok. Anyone know?

The programmable version of our product can be set up in seconds to suit over 250 different imported vehicle models. A programming pack is available for Trade customers. For Private customers, we can supply a converter ready programmed to suit your vehicle, complete with installation instructions.

So do they have a program for a VVTi 2JZ-GTE engine? It seems so.

The Trade pack looks particularly interesting. This screenshot actually lists VVTi Tip tronic - ooh I'm getting excited now. Maybe this will be the saviour of the weird SLD / TSD convertors on the VVTi autos.

http://www.ncs-systems.com/speedm8/demo.php

Seems odd they have a PO Box.

Domain name regged to Nottingham Car Security

NOTTINGHAM CAR SECURITY LIMITED

M R COWDREY & CO (Their accountants)

125 NOTTINGHAM ROAD STAPLEFORD

NOTTINGHAM

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE NG9 8AT

Company No. 04041711

Date of Incorporation: 27/07/2000

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

For those that don't know - as the car was never meant to go over 180Kph (112Mph), it wasn't programmed with a gearbox shift point over this speed (from 3rd to O/D (4th)). So when you delimit (and/or convert to Mph) the car will not change from 3rd to O/D over 180Kph (112Mph) at full throttle. You have to back off and let the car drop revs a bit before it will change.
I've always wondered why it does that... :(

For those that don't know - as the car was never meant to go over 180Kph (112Mph), it wasn't programmed with a gearbox shift point over this speed (from 3rd to O/D (4th)). So when you delimit (and/or convert to Mph) the car will not change from 3rd to O/D over 180Kph (112Mph) at full throttle. You have to back off and let the car drop revs a bit before it will change. [quote}

I've always wondered why it does that... :(

Would this matter in a manual 6 speed

How is the car likely to behave above the clamped signal output

At the mentioned speeds it hardly matters if the power steering doesnt contiue reacting under speed control, as long as it holds its setting

Does that make sense?

It does seem to be the answer for the vvti

I think I might try one

John

Looks like the holy grail to me. I can maybe arrange a GB if you guys want?

Gaz.

:thumbs:

At such little prices it's probably not worth it though? I've asked them various questions about the tip in particular - will see what the reply is.

Typical

There was another one I came across as well.

Unfortunately I dont have a link to it. I will have to go searching

I think it may have been australian (maybe) and the box was yellow

Anyone ever come across something like this?

John