The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Idle control valve......

Suprash

I sort of already have with me FAQ entry :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

It's in the FAQs section, technical FAQs, engine component locations.

Two 12mm bolts and it's off. Er, at least off enough for you to take the two coolant hoses off the bottom of it. Then it's off. Providing you took off the wiring plug and the intake hose. Anyway it's easy :p Watch out for the flapper valve that sits either in the intake manifold or stuck to the idle control valve, depending on the mood it's in. Don't try and take the stepper motor off the housing.

-Ian

I sort of already have with me FAQ entry :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=13939&d=1112558977

It's in the FAQs section, technical FAQs, engine component locations.

Two 12mm bolts and it's off. Er, at least off enough for you to take the two coolant hoses off the bottom of it. Then it's off. Providing you took off the wiring plug and the intake hose. Anyway it's easy :p Watch out for the flapper valve that sits either in the intake manifold or stuck to the idle control valve, depending on the mood it's in. Don't try and take the stepper motor off the housing.

-Ian

I was told its fiddly..............that doesnt sound too bad........ :cool:

I found getting the little coolant pipes back on a pain in the arse, order the gasket from Toyota as well before doing it, mine was pretty *uggered.

Eh ? Gasket, no one said anything about a gasket............cool will do, gaskets should always be replaced as a rule of thumb.........shouldnt they, lol.... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've recently done mine and I've still got a stalling problem (although it is now less frequent), so I am not sure if I've done it properly.

I removed my icv housing and there was 'something' inside it. But there was also a diaphragm type 'thing' which came out. Ok, blonde but, which bit is the control valve and should I have given both parts a good clean? I'm guessing its the diaphragm part. I'm going to do it again one evening this week, weather permitting so any recommendations on which product is best to use to clean it?

Failing that, what is the next check point to try to eliminate my stalling, remembering it only does it when slowing to approach junctions or when moving very, very slowly in traffic with either a hot or cold engine.

How long did you leave it to soak for?

Not long enough obviously!! Didnt have enough cleaner to soak it thoroughly so kept turning it around for about three quarts of an hour. Will do it again in the week and leave it overnight me thinks :(

Someone has said use gunk spray but wasnt sure about that.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I've recently done mine and I've still got a stalling problem (although it is now less frequent), so I am not sure if I've done it properly.

I removed my icv housing and there was 'something' inside it. But there was also a diaphragm type 'thing' which came out. Ok, blonde but, which bit is the control valve and should I have given both parts a good clean? I'm guessing its the diaphragm part. I'm going to do it again one evening this week, weather permitting so any recommendations on which product is best to use to clean it?

Failing that, what is the next check point to try to eliminate my stalling, remembering it only does it when slowing to approach junctions or when moving very, very slowly in traffic with either a hot or cold engine.

Are you rinning a MAF with a BOV, this can cause stalling also ........ ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Gaz, I didnt bother in the end, I found the problem to be a blown pipe, down at the front right hand side of the block, just a little forward from the PS resevoir and to the left hand side of it.

But Im sure I noticed some difference on mine as opposed to what I was seeing in a pic, which was obviously an pre VVT-i lump ;) But thanks ;)