The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No heat from the heater

smithn05

For a while my TT's heater has been next to useless. Very little heat output if any. Have checked the diagnostics on the A/C system, no faults. All the servos etc also sound fine and operate as they should. Cleaned out the coolant system, and specifically flushed out the heater core (which seemed OK).

Anyone with any ideas?

Have noticed on the workshop manual there is a valve on the top of the heater core, not sure how this is operated though as a/c manual makes no mention of it? Is it some kind of thermostat and could be at fault?? Dont really want to pull the dash out if im on a wild goose chase!!!

HELP!!

:)

and specifically flushed out the heater core (which seemed OK).

I take it that's the same as the heater matrix? Two pipes at the firewall on the nearside?

You need to try again. Buy some radiator flush, such as Bars flush. It's recommended that you use a LOT of pressure. Hook up a pressure washer. I used near-boiling water with the Bars flush last time, and just a hose pipe because I didn't have the fittings to get the pressure washer hooked up.

Better google it first - I don't want you bursting your heater matrix all inside your dash just because I said to use a pressure washer ;)

Here you go:

Hello,

I posted a thread on supraforums regardin gthis, I had the same problem, and I have a fix.

I guy on this forums tried it too and it worked very well.

Disconnect the Matrix hoses from the firewall, and try flushing them both ways with a high power jet wash. (Use hose extensions else your bay will be well messy)

If that fails to fix it, the only thing I could find to un clog it was Nitrox Drain Cleaner. It is 99% Sulphuric acid so be very careful. You can buy it from B&Q and its about £6.

Run some down in there and leave if for about 30 mins, shoudl start to bubble nicly, then rinse through with a hose pipe (not high pressure) from the side you put the cleaner down.

Repeat this 3-4 times in both directions untill water flown cleanly.

Then Use jetwash again to 100% clean out any acid and crap that is in there.

This worked fine for me and continued to work for months untill I have now taken my car off the road.

Seems alot easier than changing the matrix!!!! :scare:

*** Be care full with that drain cleaner , I use welding gloves when using it.

***** Flushing aditives didnt do squat!

Martin