The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alien abduction symptoms

Ben-san

Mornin' all.

Something strange has been happening - once last night and again this morning.

As I pulled away from work last night, I had a momentary cut in power. All the electrics went dark, and a split second later they came back on, zero-ing my clock, my turbo timer, and reseting the climate control settings. All while I was moving :scare::haha:

It happened again this morning, just as I switched my dipped beams on.

Have aliens been experimenting on me, or could this possibly be related to me changing my lightbulbs last week?

:help:

Thanking you...

(A very worried) Ben-san

Oh man... but the light... it was so preeety. It had some kind of sign on it... Su-Pra.

:lol:

The thing is, when I changed my dipped bulbs (9005), I didn't have to take the battery out, because it's smaller than the average. I'll check the terminals anyway and see if there's anything visibly wrong with them. I suppose the bulb change scenario is just a coincidence.

My positive terminal cover DID mysteriously dissapear some time ago too... :eeeeeeeek:

mate, take them off and check them as by looking from above they may look ok. When mines were taken off, it had the white powdery residue. You can get a battery terminal spray (blue in colour), spray some of that after cleaning. Dunno what it's called I'm afraid.

I believe there is the main grounding point somewhere but I have no idea where - that corrodes sometimes

Ro

I'm sure the turbo bearings appreciate it.

In case you didn't know, these are liquid-cooled bearings you've got, and there is NO need for turbo timers of any sort. Just use good synthetic oil and avoid switching off immediately after a high-boost run. That's all.

The timer eventually woke up on the journey home, and succesfully turned off at the end of the day. I checked the battery terminals, and there is residue under the clamps.

I'm sure the turbo bearings appreciate it.

Bad? Good?

In case you didn't know, these are liquid-cooled bearings you've got, and there is NO need for turbo timers of any sort. Just use good synthetic oil and avoid switching off immediately after a high-boost run. That's all.

Thanks for that John - this is new to me. I've heard various opinions on turbo timers and sat on the fence in the end. I've had RP41 put in around 1500 miles ago, so we should be safe in that department.

Could you divulge a little more about liquid/oil cooling? Knowledge is my security blanket!

B

..Bad? Good?

bad

...Could you divulge a little more about liquid/oil cooling? Knowledge is my security blanket!

when you switch off the engine, the water pump stops and that is when localised heatsoak can create problems.

These turbos (like most OEM designs nowadays) have a water jacket, so that localised overheating never happens. The water can absorb enormous amounts of heat before it saturates and turns into gas (bubbles) Since the metals don't go far higher than 110C, the oil temps on the bearings don't go nuts either, so it doesn't 'coke'.

Turbo timers were useful in the old days, when turbos were aircooled and synthetic oils were rare. Today they are more hassle than good, and can potentially do harm, as in your case. 8.5 hours of useless idling is bad, any way you look at it. Bad for cam wear even.