The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lock up switch for Torque Converter

Justin

I'm having trouble getting any help on this so I need to fit one myself.

Good instuctions here http://www.utahracing.com/Tech/lockup/Lockup.htm

Anybody know the exact type of relay I should buy to make up my own kit to wire into the OD button and solder to my ECU? Should it be a 12V 30Amp 5 pin relay like this http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=LMA795 ?

Thanks

Justin

Hi Justin' date=' been at the Tokyo motor show all week, so not been online. No need for a relay, just ground 14b to earth.I have mine wired to a push button on the steering wheel. Use it all the time to simulate upshifts.[/quote']

i take it that you splice into the wire and do not cut it? run to one side of switch and earth the other switch pin, normally open.

Forgive my ignorance guys, but can anyone explain what the purpose of this modification is. I'm guessing that it's to get better launches, but I'd appreciate the theory etc.

Thanks guys

Mike

it wont do you any good if you dont have a hi stall tc fitted.

Hi Justin' date=' been at the Tokyo motor show all week, so not been online. No need for a relay, just ground 14b to earth.I have mine wired to a push button on the steering wheel. Use it all the time to simulate upshifts.[/quote']

Sorry I don't understand. Any chance of a wiring diagram like the one in my link when you get back from Japan?

When should you not use lockup? I've read some dodgy stories on Supra Forums.

Sorry I don't understand. Any chance of a wiring diagram like the one in my link when you get back from Japan?

When should you not use lockup? I've read some dodgy stories on Supra Forums.

justin, splice a wire into pin14b from ecu and run it to one side of a switch. run the other side of the switch to an earth source.

im sure you could tell him when not to use the lock up? for instance if you are locked up when coming to a stop you will stall

Yep..done that a few times and shat myself in the process :D Other than that, i dont know of any other occasions you should not use it.

I use mine to chnge up if the g'box isnt doing it and to hold a gear on the motorway to stop the thing changing up and down. I also use it on A roads as going up hills makes the thing change down to rapidly.

What dodgy stories?

Some guy blowing up his TC because he engaged lockup at the end of a 1/4 run or something like that?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191513&highlight=torque+converter+lock+switch

He starts.....

"I have a built transmission but my converter is my weak point. I have had my PI triple disk fixed twice now, under warrantee. The clutches are fried in the lockup. Ip has been great to work with but the converter design has problems. ................................."

Sorry for the silly questions but I haven't used this setup before so have to ask I don't mind admitting.

Cheers for your help guys.

I've already asked both parties mate and no response I'm afraid.

First time I've had any kind of chance to reply mate. I don't get much of a chance to get on here any more due to various different circumstances, but my work phone number is at the bottom of my signature and there's an answer phone on there if I can't answer.

Have you sussed it yet? Personally, I'd do it with a relay, but it can be done by simply switching an earth onto the wire.