The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lose droplinks?

JohnK

Someone recently posted about not being able to tighten a balljoint? or similar as it kept turning. Ive had a search but cant find the thread to link to, but here is a solution if you find yourself in the same situation as me.

I noticed one of my droplinks was loose so off with the wheel and tighten it I thought.

I then found that some nice person had rounded the hexagon in the end of the stud for me :( and no matter what I tried to hold the stud with it just wasnt happening (keeps turning).

So I had to weld part of an allen key into place which is now part of the car until I get a new drop link! :eek:

droplink.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just had exactly the same thing happen to me. What a crap design! The rear ones have a plate attached so you can use that rather than an allen key, so why not the fronts! Gah... :swear: Oh well, I'll be on the phone to Mr T tomorrow for some more drop links then...

The fronts on mine didn't have an allen key socket, but there's some flats behind the rubber boot which take a 14mm open ended spanner.

Really? Great tip, thanks! I'll have a look at that tomorrow, might just get away without having to get some new ones in that case!

I never noticed the flat bits on mine when I changed them 2 weeks ago, I'll have another look as I still have them , although they've been butchered up after I used an angle grinder to remove them. :tongue:

Great tip though if they all have that flat bit. :thumbs: