The mkiv Supra Owners Club

oil pump removal

Dave S

It's a Royal PITA without droping the cross. Very very fidly in situ and a right mare to clean up all the surfaces to re seal them ...no gaskets its all RTV so you will probs create more leaks than fixing. Has the pump failed why are you removing it ?

major oil leak...thought it was front crank seal....but looked ok,wasnt 100% convinced it was that, so decided to remove pump to check and modify the pressure relief valve, I could only pull the pump off halfway then it stops......if I'd known about the sump I would have tried only a new seal first....anyway pump all unsealed now so I have to carry on....

Guest Terry S

Dave you will need to strip various bits off the engine and Jack the engine up in order to remove the sump with the engine in the bay. TBH its a mare. You could drop the subframe, but again, mare.

Engine support beam across inner wings, support engine, drop suspension and subframe as a unit, free access to unserside of engine. Support fromes capable of safely holding the 2JZ-GTE lump are about 100 quid or maybe less "on offer". You REALLY need a ramp though to take full advantage. Draper do a good beam, i bought one a few weeks ago as i lent my old one to someone who then managed to lose it!