The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge Wiring

Duffers

what afr gauge you got then? as TBH its no use really if you havent a upgraded O2 sensor, as the stock one doesnt have a wide reference of voltage outputs as an aftermarket one such as the bosch...

anyway if you want to install it, you want the middle connector and its pin 48, which is the 2nd row up from the bottom and the 3rd from the left along.. it will be next to 2 screen cables (pins 49 and 50) which are the knock sensor cables..

you will find most probably after you install it, it will show up ok, but then when you put your foot down it will just flick straight across the range and go to rich)

think the bosch O2 sensor is about 100 or so quid

Aha. Narrow band sensors go from 0v (lean) to 1v (rich). But the 'lean' to 'rich' band is about 13.5:1 to 15.5:1 - hence "narrow band".

Wide bands vary on their AFR range, but they cover between 11:1 and 17:1 with maybe some extra range in either direction depending on the module. Their voltages go from 0v (rich) to 5v (lean).

So AFR gauges have to take this into account, and they do that by having narrowband AFR gauges and wideband AFR gauges :) If you have a narrowband gauge, and I suspect you have seeing as wideband ones cost upwards of £200, then it is useless for a wideband sensor.

And narrowband gauges are useless for a turbo car as thay think 13.5:1 is mad rich wheres in fact it's running dangerously lean...

-Ian

to be honest if it was £15 i would not even bother fitting it to the car unless you just want a pretty gauge..

I just bought a Air to Fuel gauge and it set me back £250 :scare:

Its the newest innovative wideband on the market and will need to have the new 'WIDE BAND' 5 wire bosch sensor plumbed in to the downpipe.

Thanks for the input guys. I just spotted it for sale @ £15 and went for it. I will leave it for now then and wait till I can afford a nice wide band o2 sensor and gauge to match. No point have spurious inaccurate readings really I guess... Mmmm, but on the other hand - it will light up all pretty colours... ;)

Thanks again...

Paul

to be honest if it was £15 i would not even bother fitting it to the car unless you just want a pretty gauge..

I just bought a Air to Fuel gauge and it set me back £250 :scare:

Its the newest innovative wideband on the market and will need to have the new 'WIDE BAND' 5 wire bosch sensor plumbed in to the downpipe.

I got an AEM one for £160 :p What's so new and innovative that it's worth ninety quid? :blink:

-Ian

here is what Dusty at MVP has to say about the units...

The AEM unit is a great bang for the buck and widely distributed. They do not make the best kit, but it is a nice kit for the money.

Innovate Motorsports - we signed up with them today. I will have their products on my shelf in a week. I chose them over HardRacing.com's unit (and several other contenders we looked at) after some research on my end.

The Innovate unit is a much more powerful unit than the RH unit. Let me try to give you some of the highlights...

RH can not be calibrated, Innovate can. So whatever arbitrary setting RH calibrated the sensor to, that is all you are going to get, meaning when you take it anywhere in any weather it will never be accurate.

The Innovate unit is designed to be calibrated any time the user sees fit, i.e. any time they are going to be tuning or racing their car.

Innovate's unit has 44 minutes of built in data logging with the ability to manipulate and run simulations with the data. If you purchase their optional accessories you get nearly limitless functionality, it is amazing for the money. Innovate's unit is the only full digital wide band system on the market I am aware of. That is why they can calibrate and why their system can calibrate itself even if the sensor wears down. (The more you use it the less accurate a sensor will be and the more important calibration becomes)

RH's unit does not display lamba which means you can't tune alcohol on it, which may not mean anything to you but thought I would point it out. Lambda, unlike AFR, is absolute.

But, Innovate's unit displays both meaning you can tune ANY air/fuel mix of ANY type period, short of a 5 gas analyzer or a $20,000 dollar machine.

Innovate's unit is upgradeable and expandable. You can download free software updates from their website at any time. This means as Innovate adds a new function in the software you can get it, for free.

I am not aware of any such ability with RH but someone correct me here if I am wrong. I see no way to upgrade it but maybe I missed that somewhere.

RH's unit uses a vacuum pump gas analyzer that only pulls data about 5 times a second.

Innovate's unit pulls data 12 times per second and synchronizes it. No other system on the market synchronizes it. So, no matter how many accessories you have connected, no matter how many inputs up to the cap, it will synchronize all the devices to the lead device which is usually their LM1, and then it will pull data (and log it for 44 minutes) from / to every device 12 times a second.

There are a few other differences, but the bottom line differences between the RH and the Innovate is that the Innovate is better for the money, more accurate, has more functions, and is expandable / upgradeable.

I searched long and hard for a really solid WB kit that I think is the future, the best, and dead on accurate. I am shocked at the price of the Innovate kits as they are simply too cheap. I told them that too, they need to raise their price, but whatever, that's up to them. Let's hope they don't!

Regards,

Dusty

• 2 weeks later...