The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Servicing (again)

JohnK

Ive had a search and found some info but not overly sure how it relates to my situation.

Anyway onto the problem:

My car is due for a service soon and im not sure what one! The car will have aprox 41000 miles on the clock and it will be its 9th service, so by my calculations it should be having a B service.

But what "extras" do I need?

Diff oil

Coolant

Brake Fluid

Spark plugs (if I dont have plats)

Autobox fluid

Any others?

Another thing, the sevice book has 9000 mile / 12 month intervals except after the next service then it says 4500 miles / 6 months, this seems to be only exception in the book to the 9000 intervals.

Anyone have any info please.

Toyota do 3 different types of service for the Supra:

Intermediat oil service - every 4500miles or every 6 months.

'A' Service - every 9000 miles or every 12 months

'B' Service - every 27000 miles or 12 months after last 2nd 'A' service

Mine is also going in for a 'B' service next month. Make sure you top up easy things yourself like washer level and coolant as they will charge you £££'s for them to use 'special' toyota fluids. Check to see if they've charged you for these items and claim them back if they have. I know it's only a few quid but still every pound counts.

Hi John.

Bit confoozed by your post I must admit. :)

There is no service at 41000 miles on the 1994 onwards 9000 mile schedule. The nearest service is at 45000 miles, and its an "A".

Next, on either the 9000 mile or the 6000 mile schedule, your car would not have had 9 services until 54000 miles (6000 intervals) or 81000 miles (9000 intervals). Going by the 9000 interval schedule (AABAAB) it would indeed be a "B".

If this is the case and you are running a sort of accelerated 9000 mile schedule, you will be due the 81000 mile service at 41000 miles!

I have no idea what "extras" you require for this service, but I can find out this evening if you want. If you have a UK handbook, its all in there.

HTH

Ah, yes. I forgot about the 4500 mile oil change. Most TT owners do this and its a good idea but I'm pretty sure its not mentioned in the handbook.

John, is this the first service the car will have had under your ownership? Is there any other info that would suggest which service schedule it has been running? Any bills, etc?

Incidentally, in my experience, the price Toyota quotes for an "X-thousand" miles service should include all the extras and fluids. If your garage tries to add these on top of the price again then they may be trying to take the p*ss.

The service book is running aab aab aab, and its 9000 miles OR 12 months whatever is sooner, so although the car hasnt done the milage the previous owner has had it serviced to the book at 12 month intervals by the supplying dealer.

The book has no mention of 4500 mile oil changes although I will do this myself (got Chris Wilson to do the last one as the car was there) but as I posted the service book seems to have an anomaly between the 9th and 10th service (between the one im due soon and the next one, as it has printed next service due in 4500 miles or 6 months! where as every other box in the book says 12 moths/9000 miles.

There have been many threads reguarding "extras" at services as eg. the brake fluid has a recomended interval to be changed yet the service schedule only says check condition (extra charge for replacement.

Does anyone have the definitive list on services, if not maybe we should try to make a list up and have it as part of the site?

The car has been serviced every 12 months (or sooner if the mileage has indicated) its a 95 UK car, because most years it has done far less that 9000 miles and the next service will be its 9th which is a B. So I guess this would be equal to its 81k service.

I just want to know if anything not usually part of the service should be changed this time, ie. brake fluid.

Yes, brake fluid should be done, may I suggest Castrol 'R' brake fluid, it is very good. :)

Oil, filter of course.

Pads probably (take a look at them).

Spark plugs, may need doing, probably for the best.

Fuel filter should be changed.

Autobox fluid changed, and diff oil.

Cambelt can be done, dpends on if your bothered about it or not, a lot of people change it sub 60K.

Add some antifreeze as well.

Other than that, just check to make sure everything else is upto scratch, all fluid levels etc.

Oh, and check that the airfilter is still clean, otherwise, replace that as well.