The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J Spec TT BHP/Torque

Adam Kindness

Fortunately now that rule is now null and void for all future models.

Hence the new NSX (not the facelift) is rumoured to have 400hp same with the next gen Supra will have 400bhp ish too. Not that 400hp is the new limit just a figure they are both working towards as I guess they are going for Porsche and Ferrari... :) Sweet.

By law, Japanese manufacturers were not allowed to produce cars making more than 280 bhp for the home market. However, even though many Jap spec cars were making more than this, as long as they claimed 280bhp or below, this was ok with the Government. What to do is try both models (Jap and Uk). Is one 50bhp more powerful than the other?.....................Answers on a postcard!

Its wasn't law to the best of my knowledge it was a Gentleman's agreement if you like its like the German's have limitless Autobahn's but limit all their cars to 155mph as that is seen to be the highest speed anyone should travel at.

The 280bhp rule/agreement was brought in about 20 years ago and now they have realised that they cannot compete in the rest of the world unless they start producing some cars which are desirable to Ferrari and Porsche Owners etc...basically they want to be able to compete in all markets. Simple economics has laid waste to the 280bhp barrier + the fact that it was becoming ever more difficult to hold their engines back as the technology advanced.

I think we'll soon see what the Jap manfactureres are capable of...I can't wait...

But don't expect to see 500bhp + machines as they will now concentrate on lightweight manouverable cars I think 400hp will be common as the power to weight ratio will soon make sure these new cars are in another league from the current crop.

The reason for the 280bhp limit was due to the fact that there is a 112mph speed restrictor limit in Japan for all cars. This is the current law, it was therfore 'agreed' that there was no need for big horsepower cars as there was no point for them to go faster than 112mph. This was a manufacturers agreement similar to BMW and Merc over in Germany.

The reason for the 'agreement' is to try and take away the competition between manufacturers in selling cars based on their BHP and their top MPH.

If a car is stated to have a top speed of 155mph then it is on a level playing field with all the other cars that state 155mph as their top speed.

What manufacturers are doing these days is building cars that will do 156mph in order that they can sell them by stating that they can do 155mph (limited).

AJI