The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BOV leak possibly?

Elliot

Went to see a nice TT yesterday. We went for a spirited drive down the dual carriageway before pulling into a petrol station where I noticed smoke / steam coming from the grill bit by the window.

We moved the car somewhere safe & popped the bonnet.

The only thing I could see that might be doing it was a load of fluid that looks like it has been blown out of the dump valve (HKS).

I sort of understand these blow out the excess pressure / gas or whatever from the turbos, but would they be blowing out oil, because below it there seemed to be quite a build up of 'runny oil' settling below (dripping off the induction pipe - not linlet!) on the engine.

Just thought this might indicate something wrong with the turbos or whatever?

The car seemed fine & absolutely rocketed from 4000rpm upwards! :)

Hi Elliot, I have limited knowledge of Supras but have to say this doesn't sound like turbo seals. If those were gone you'd expect to see blue smoke from the exhaust throughout the rev range.

I had a problem with oil appearing from the BOV, which seems to be either worn valve guides (not serious) or too thin oil (again not serious)

See: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24881

for details.

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, but possibly not till tomorrow night as many wil be having an early night due to the pod meet tomorrow!

Thanks Homer, it does seem like it could be pretty much anything though!

There seems to be lots of different people with different opinions on what it could be.

Did you say the smoke has got worse & bluer? Which I guess can mean it's the turbos going eventually?

I got the train up to see the car, so couldn't follow it to see for smoke. Depending on a few other issues with the car, I might put a bid in still, but don't want to buy a dog!

:D

No smoke for me either at start or when driving.

I do get a very fine mist of clean oil out of the bov; just enough to register on a white paper towel after few rev ups which I assume is normal?

The re seem to be a few comments about this but nothing very conclusive.

I note my oil level is slightly high; I use Valvoline could this be where it comes from or is that daft. Isnt it true that the oil mist must have passed through the seals? to be in that location but then why absolutely no smoke ie no oil passing to combustion?

sorry to sound like a dumbass lol:innocent:

50:p