The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warning Light

Guest Adam Land

Guest Adam Land

Hello,

I have just picked up my Supra last week, and i was just wondering if anyone could help me solve a problem i have.

The warning light in the middle of the speedo or rev counter cant remember now, is permenantly on.... the importers told me this was due to sensor beng disconnected in the front bumper. As the one on it is not original, i have found the sensor they are talking about and just wondered if anyone else had had this problem and i was wondering if you had managed to sort it.

The sensor has a smaller wire running along side it, and i was going to test it and see if grounding this wire would solve the problem?

Cheers for any help!

Guest Adam Land

Thanks for yur help,

But i have Looked for the spoiler ECU, behind the stereo, there are two boxes, ones a decelerstion sensor, and the other is a big metal case box, cant really see it that well to get to it.

Any ideas which plug needs to be disconnected??

Guest Adam Land

well i have tried unplugging this connector, what a job! But it still made no difference.

i'll go and have another look later on, do i need to keep the spoiler switch connected???

On the plug behind the bumper, connect the YELLOW and the PURPLE/YELLOW wire. The active spoiler ecu then thinks that the spoiler is always in the up postion...

Make sure the spoiler button is in the off position. And keep it off.

You should be able to remove the ecu from behind the stereo. You should find two silver boxes right at the back on the transmission tunnel. The lower one with two plugs is for ABS, don't remove that one. The upper one is the spoiler ECU. If you remove this, it's can't send any error signals, so problem solved.

Hope that helps

Guest Adam Land

right well i have managed to unplug the ecu behind the stereo, now the spoiler switch has stopped flashing, but the central warning light is STILL on....... does this mean a different problem.

I didn't short the spoiler before i disconnected the ECU, would i need to before??? Or should this have cleared it all!!!!

Very grateful for your help!

Hmmm, you've got all the doors shut and the handbrake is off, whilst stationary right?

Right, I'd have thought removing the spoiler ecu would cure this, but, if it were me trying to sort this, I'd put the ecu back in, and short the two pins together with the spoiler switch in the off position, (making sure the ignition is off whilst working). This should now stop the spoiler button flashing, which in turn, should stop the triangle warning from lighting. If it doesnt go out, and you've checked my first line of this post, you have another fault...

Guest Adam Land

Good news.

Thanks for all your help. Its been racking my brain this last day, and everything i tried hadn't worked....

But before i resorted to taking it to have the codes read on the diagnostics, i thought i'd give it one more go.....

I took the EFI No.2 fuse out to reset the ECU, but while i did that, i disconnected the Active Spoiler ECU, Put it all back together, put the fuse back in, and perfect, warning light goes out on ignition.

Cheers lads for all your help.

• 2 months later...

That link in Scooters post is dead. I think I have this very same problem. I had a flashy spoiler light before I disconnected the switch. I didn't have a warning triangle as someone in their infinite wisdom decided that removing the bulb was the way to get round that little problem. Where does that link go and how do i fix this problem?

Guest Adam Land

Hello,

So your spoiler light was flashing and its not now!! The way i fixed mine was i connected everything back up, spoiler ecu and make sure there's a bulb in the warning light cause thats pretty important. I then took the main ecu fuse out, which is in the box in the engine bay on the near side. Cant remember which one........ i'll post it in a minute.

Then i disconnected the spoiler ecu, re-placed the main fuse, turn on the ignition and all clear.... if the warning is still there, makesure, your hand brake is off, doors are shut. If its still showing, turn off the ignition, remove the fuse for more than ten seconds, bout 30 to be sure, and then replace it. If it hasn't cleared now, you have problems!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Guest Adam Land
Originally posted by Adam Land

Good news.

Thanks for all your help. Its been racking my brain this last day, and everything i tried hadn't worked....

But before i resorted to taking it to have the codes read on the diagnostics, i thought i'd give it one more go.....

I took the EFI No.2 fuse out to reset the ECU, but while i did that, i disconnected the Active Spoiler ECU, Put it all back together, put the fuse back in, and perfect, warning light goes out on ignition.

Cheers lads for all your help.

Originally posted by Adam Land

Hello,

So your spoiler light was flashing and its not now!!

Its not flashing now because I have taken the switch out. It was flashing before because the spoiler had been removed. The location of the spoiler ecu is what I was after which I beleive is what the dead link in this thread posted by Scooter was showing. Cheers for the rest of the how to info though.

Guest Adam Land

the spoiler ecu is behind the stereo!

Basically you have to take the dash out to get to it properly, four screws above the dials, ash tray out, cover around the gear stick and handbrake area, then the central section which surrounds the hater and stereo. Then you can take the stereo out, and get to the ecu, there are two boxes, one is a deceleration sensor and the other is the spoiler ecu!

It sounds like a ball ache of a job, but you can do it in ten minutes!

Its OK I have to take the dash out to redo the LED replacements in the heater control box, And also need to re-align the temp indicator post changing the speedo dial faces. I have had that dash out about 5 times since I've had the car which is only just over a month (I can see why Jake leaves the screws out of his) I have now left my dash screws out since fitting my thor delimiter and converter and my sat tracking device which still isn't working properly :( . It needs to come back out again after that for it to be stripped and painted.. That said if you think that taking the dash out of this car is a pita try taking one out of an omega.:mad:

• 7 years later...
Hmmm, you've got all the doors shut and the handbrake is off, whilst stationary right?

Right, I'd have thought removing the spoiler ecu would cure this, but, if it were me trying to sort this, I'd put the ecu back in, and short the two pins together with the spoiler switch in the off position, (making sure the ignition is off whilst working). This should now stop the spoiler button flashing, which in turn, should stop the triangle warning from lighting. If it doesnt go out, and you've checked my first line of this post, you have another fault...

Hello Matt, I am having issues with my front spoiler also, the spoiler buttons flashing green and I havethe red triangle warning light on solid. I tried disconnecting the battery for a minute removing the efi fuses, still nothing... Should I unplugg the spoiler ecu? And if I do, do I keep it disconnected for ever or do I plug it back in after a few seconds?