The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric seat not working on one side :(

kieren1234

Hi all, my drivers side seat is stuck, it would go back but will not go forward now and i cant reach the pedals!

The seat does click when i push the switch for forward and the side near the door does start to move but the left side is just stuck. Any ideas??

Have been offered a new seat but would prefer to fix it rather than change the whole seat which i have read is a complete PITA!

Thanks.

Maybe, mine went completely dead last year but turned out to be the connections loose on the control module on the floor under the seat. Mine wasn't even trying to move so i guess yours is a different problem.

Maybe something inside the mechanisms jammed, theres only 4 bolts to take the seat out and have a look underneath. Thats if you can move it enough to get access to the bolts, if not you could try blocks of wood on the pedals lol!!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=230502&highlight=seat

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=211575&highlight=seat

This is text book mechanism failure, the plastic cogs wear out after a while. I put my seats on another base, took about 20 mins once the seats were out.

Swapping the seat is easy once you get the bolts out. There is a bolt on the end of each runner that will allow you to move the seat backwards and forwards....;)

It's actually quite easy once you get going. Are your seats leather or cloth?

H.

Maybe, mine went completely dead last year but turned out to be the connections loose on the control module on the floor under the seat. Mine wasn't even trying to move so i guess yours is a different problem.

Maybe something inside the mechanisms jammed, theres only 4 bolts to take the seat out and have a look underneath. Thats if you can move it enough to get access to the bolts, if not you could try blocks of wood on the pedals lol!!

Ha ha, thanks for the help mate.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=230502&highlight=seat

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=211575&highlight=seat

This is text book mechanism failure, the plastic cogs wear out after a while. I put my seats on another base, took about 20 mins once the seats were out.

Swapping the seat is easy once you get the bolts out. There is a bolt on the end of each runner that will allow you to move the seat backwards and forwards....;)

It's actually quite easy once you get going. Are your seats leather or cloth?

H.

Thanks H!! I have just been researching and found this is a very common problem. They are only cloth so ill just get to that 12mm and 10mm bolt under the cover at the front of the seat and get it into the right position for me and change it when i have more time/can face doing it lol.

Thanks alot.

Thanks H!! I have just been researching and found this is a very common problem. They are only cloth so ill just get to that 12mm and 10mm bolt under the cover at the front of the seat and get it into the right position for me and change it when i have more time/can face doing it lol.

Thanks alot.

Be careful with the 12mm and 10mm bolts. If the seat turns too much at an angle as you turn one side, the nut will come undone, unfortunately you need to turn the nut that way to bring the seat forward. If you were sending it backwards the nut would be tightening anyway.....:rolleyes:

My nut undid and I had to batter the thread with a chisel to stop the nut coming off, the seat base was a write off but I think once the plastic cogs have gone, it's fooked anyway.

Swapping the seat backs is only 8 bolts per seat. You need to adjust the height of the seat with the know to see one of the bolts. The knob itself has a circlip underneath that you will need to ping out with a small screwdriver.

It sounds awkward but it's quite easy once you know where the bolts are.

H.

Thanks H. The supra is only just going back on the road after a LONG time sat on the drive so may need to temporarily get it done with the bolts for the time being but have a seat waiting to be fitted when i have time.

Also gives me a chance to do a little research on it as nothing worse than going into a job on these cars blind!

Thanks H. The supra is only just going back on the road after a LONG time sat on the drive so may need to temporarily get it done with the bolts for the time being but have a seat waiting to be fitted when i have time.

Also gives me a chance to do a little research on it as nothing worse than going into a job on these cars blind!

I had real trouble getting mine out as the nut came off the winder.

Once out, I swapped the standard seat and seat back for my leather ones in about 20 mins at the most and I am not good with shit like this...:D. I got caught out by the circlip inside the seat back adjuster knob and the bolt that hides behind the seat frame. If you lower the seat as far as you can go, there is a hole the size of a 50p that is obviously there for the bolt exit.....;)

Good luck..!!

H.

Cheers mate, ill let you know how it goes.

Also, i did find a little plastic screw around the size of a 20p peace and and around 1cm thick. I think this has come off the seat mechanism.......

Was it white with a + in the middle of it?

If so, it fits in the end of the seat rail where the cogs are. Replacing mine did not fix the problem though....:(

H.

Yep thats exactly what it is mate. Ill try re fitting it and see what happens, i read on here someone done this and it worked. If not will manually bring it forward, hopefully without doing what you explained.

Good luck dude.....:)

If you were a bit nearer I'd have a go with you but seriously, it's a doddle once the seats are out.....;)

H.