The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just Changed Spark Plugs

Supra ST Myster

Originally posted by Terry S

ever wonder where that ceramic went:eek:

Glad you like the Denso's:thumbs:

Exactly, where did it go? in must be in bits as if it was to break off in one big bit it wouldnt of come off as there isnt a big enough gap for it to fall through pass the tip of the plug

Guest Terry S

yeah a fair bit. They usually seem to go like that when the car is suffering from Detonation. Have you heard any pinking

Originally posted by supra TT myster

To be honest i wouldnt know? What does it sound like if its happening?

Just changed my spark plugs as i was getting a lot of hesitation on WOT

Not always the same but......

TBH Terry, can you hear pinking in a Supra at WOT? I used to get it in my Capri and sounded like a loose metal plate on the engine.

When mine went I didn't hear anything, just felt the hesitation. (caveat, mine melted the end off the plug, not the ceramic) I guess there are lots of ways to die.

If the ceramic broke down slowly then probably you'll have pitted blades. If it came off in one lump I guess you should have fubar'd bores and no turbo blades.

BTW, it was No 5 that died in mine.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7026

Guest Terry S

Steve, you can hear it with a reasonable exhaust on, but i know where you are coming from.

On the plugs in my personal experience NGK's seem to loose the tip not the ceramic, whilst the iridiums seem to loose the ceramic. Neither like det much, but then again, nothing does.

There is a device called a knock link, which use a knock sensor and a row of LED's. You "tune" the knock link to suit the car with Det cans, then the display lights up when present. This is not fool proof, but a good indication of a bad batch of fuel etc.

Pete was gonna be making a version but never got around to it. Fancy making it Emin?

I had heard before that the HKS iridiums were distinctly unhappy with the slightest bit of det, somebody lost a piston when one dismantled itself at high boost.

As to where the ceramic went I would suggest it mostly disintegrated past the turbos but you may have had a bit of damage.

JB

Just been out and i can now hear it (radio down), as dude says it sounds like when you are shaking an aerosol and the balls rattleing around, does it at WOT at max boost which is about 1.2/1.3 bar

So whats the best way to stop this from happening as its not good? Upgrade to a walbro for a start??

Just been out and i can now hear it (radio down), as dude says it sounds like when you are shaking an aerosol and the balls rattleing around, does it at WOT at max boost which is about 1.2/1.3 bar

So whats the best way to stop this from happening as its not good? Upgrade to a walbro for a start??

Decent IC , Toluene or better fuel system or preferably all of them :)

Dude:flame Dev