The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Attn: Electronic Bods

Paul

Right then,

got a simple solution to the UK to Facelift rear light swap which allows double side/brake lights, then when the fogs are switched on the inner set act as fogs with the remaining pair as side/brake.

All you need is a couple of diodes and a small wiring mod, see attached diagram.

Any of you clever buggers out there know what rating or type of diode I would need, 12v I guess but don't know anymore?

Thanks, Paul

lightschematic.jpeg

When it passing current in the forward direction, it will need to be able to pass enough current (If) to supply the stop lamp (the brighter of the two bulbs).

Stop lamp = 21W

Forward current from a 12V supply = 21 / 12 = 1.75A

(Note: If you assume the engine is off and use 12V for the supply then you get a worst case for the current).

So a diode with an If rating of 1.75 or more would be suitable.

When working to block reverse current, its the peak inverse voltage that is important. This will be 14V or so when the engine is running (worst case again). So you need a diode with a PIV rating of 14V or higher.

If you check the rectifier diodes in the Maplins catalogue, the first one which satisfies these requirements is:

Type 1N5400

PIV = 50V

If = 3A

Catalogue number QL81C (8.5p each)

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Paul

Silly question, how do I know which way round to solder them, is it the striped end the bulb side?

+ve will flow from the non stripe to the striped end..

i.e. Connect the non-striped end to the -ve battery , then the bulb between the striped end and +ve battery at it will light. Test it out.

Originally posted by Paul

I'll have a read of that link and educate myself.

Thanks Steve.

Paul

I've just done that and realised I think I may have been talking bollox. It is well over 20 years since I've played with electronics, must have a fading memory. Time to get my slippers and horlicks I think :blink:

Better wait until someone else comes along.

I think you might have a slight error in your calculation as a filiment lamp is almost purly resistive the current taken is governed by the Voltage/Resistance and not the Power so at a higher voltage more current will flow.

dont think it would pass an MOT either

Yeah but the relay mod is aimed at jap spec cars, my UK must have relay/relays in already cause I've got fogs!

Surely the mod I've posted is the best way for my UK as it is just a case of chopping a few wires and putting diodes in, still using my stock fog light switch?

Oh, and yes it has been done, got this info from Nathan at TDI.

Paul

http://www.tdi-plc.com/nathan/latelights.html

Originally posted by supra TT myster

relay mod is the best and reliable method to use, plus i can supply them! :D

BTW, how would I wire these up to my UK if I do need them?

How much would you skank me for them if required?

Paul

Originally posted by leett

all you have to do is find the fog light wire on your harness

I would say that it's the one that goes to a pin on the harness plug yet has no pin on the facelift plug.

That diagram means nothing to me, surely that's for adding a foglight switch, power feed and relays on a Jap spec when they don't exist?

Mine = UK spec and has all the gubbins already, doesn't it?

All I thought I needed was a way to transfer the existing fog light power to one of the brake lights when fogs switched on?

Paul

The UK spec wont have a relay for the fogs will it? It only has one set of brake/rear lights, the other red lenses in the cluster are for the fog light and so its just an on or off situation.

Im watching this closely as Im due to fit the import lights to my UK spec and I want the twin rear/brake lights.

JB

Maybe not ? I guess it's just on or off rather than switching use.

As I said, not all that hot with electronics, thought Nathans idea of diodes was a good one as the TDI relay mod isn't really aimed at UK.

JB, I've fitted the clusters already, they just 'plug and play' minus the fogs, and now have two brake and side lights.

Paul

I used the diodes for my last car with no problems at all and it passed the MOT with no questions asked. they seemed quite thorough as well, as they said i had to change the switch for the fog light as it wasnt a proper fog switch.

I'll be hacking my lights about with my Jspec as well later. i cant see why there should be a problem, apart from losing a little voltage through the diode making the light a fraction dimmer.

Regards

Stephen V

EDIT: i had the car for over 5 years with this mod & the switch i used was for the aerial to drop down, as i Honda didnt make a fog light were i had a blank.

Emin Posting

I am at stealthhosts place and have just done his jspec and how it works is that with the lights on, then both the red lights on either side work and also when you apply the brake, then when you flick the old fog light switch the inner 2 of either sides becomes the fogs, and the outer 2 remain the same so they still work as tail and brakes, Branners is this what you want??