The mkiv Supra Owners Club

airbag light

carl0s

My kenwood stealth radio stopped working (ribbon cable took too much flex), so I took the dash apart to fix it. I turned ignition to ON with the odo disconnected (duh!) - wasn't too arsed since there's info on resetting it.

anyhow, I've reset the thing a few times now (got the knack of it), with the TC,AB,TC,AB,TC---- thing.. and I know it's working because for as long as I leave TC grounded for the fifth time, the lights flash which means the reset has been accepted. However everytime I finish (remove the ground for the 5th time), and turn ign off/on, the airbag light is *still* on.

what'm I doing wrong?!? any ideas?

cheers

but that's the thing though, I must be doing it right because afterwards all the CRUISE and other lights flash continuously.

With regard to the timing, basically you need to make each connection for 1sec, and the important thing is that you make the second connection within 200msec of breaking the first.

I must have cocked up some wire or something.. maybe it's trying to tell me something? Does the airbag light signify a 'general electronic fault', or is it specifically an airbag fault? Since on so many types of car the airbag light comes on when the ODO is disconnected and IGN turned to on, which has jack shit to do with airbags IYSWIM.

After putting the dash back together, I realised I had forgotten to plug the cables in for the air vent buttons etc, but I remedied that an hour or so later when I got where I was going.

hmmm. I'll have a proper play tomorrow. I had fuck all to do anyway ;)

Carlos

Refernce the air bag light, I believe this has to be reset separately. When I had my dash removed I had the same problem with the air bag light staying on. The way to fix it is put some wire down the diagnostic port in the engine bay (near to the oil measurig stick)

I am not exactly sure how this reset it but this is what Leon from JPS did and it reset the air bag. Hope this helps, for more advice I would email Pete Betts at Thor as he knows his stuff. I believe to avoid this, dont tturn the ignition on when the front dash is off.

Hope this helps

thanks Vaughany, I did actually sort it in the end. Strange thing really, it's like people said - do ti a few times. The Toyota docs say that the lights will all flash to show the reset command has been accepted - this was happening but it wasn't resetting. I just did tc,ab,tc,ab,tc,ab,tc,ab loads of times and didn't bother leaving the tc connected afterwards (which is when u see the flashing) and it went off ;-)