The mkiv Supra Owners Club

another supercharge question

madmarf

hey all. before anyone starts, i know this has probbaly been covered but ive read all old posts etc and still have a few questions to throw out there.

im gonna supercharge my n/a however am stuck on a few things.

after looking at the tech im probably gonna need a 3bar map sensor and a 3d map controller. is there anything else anyone would recomend to bypass these. its gonna be running 400bhp as a fixed mark. also anyone have some uprated injectors for sale?

mapEcu2 or something similar, its has an internal 3bar (or 5bar can't remember) pressre sensor and is designed for Map applications or applications that require other signals to converted to map I think. You can't just put a TT map sensor on your NA as it still wont work. You can also run bigger injectors with mapEcu2 aswell. I think your main problem will be finding and using a an appropriate SC and not so much the elctronics side of it. Not too many people have done the SC thing but I'd like to see someone do it, would be different. Try searching through http://www.clubna-t.com/

mapEcu2 or something similar, its has an internal 3bar (or 5bar can't remember) pressre sensor and is designed for Map applications or applications that require other signals to converted to map I think. You can't just put a TT map sensor on your NA as it still wont work. You can also run bigger injectors with mapEcu2 aswell. I think your main problem will be finding and using a an appropriate SC and not so much the elctronics side of it. Not too many people have done the SC thing but I'd like to see someone do it, would be different. Try searching through http://www.clubna-t.com/

trust me its gonna be done. im normaly supercharging monster trucks everyday or custom projects, but i havent done anything other than a v8. could be interesting for me. ive got all the tools just a few bits of equipment to get and a lil bit of extra knowledge goes a long way.

do you know where i can get a MapEcu2? preferably a second hand one? is it a standalone system? and will that mean i can eliminate both new sensors and just get the bigger injectors?

thanks bud

jez

Its a piggy back but its a very good piggyback. You can use standard sensors with (as its PB) and you can put bigger injectors in and use the software to adjust the duty cylce for the larger flow injectors. It also gives ignition control.

As for second hand your probably better looking in the american forums for them as they're still quite new over here and not too many folk use it.

cheers all,

1, yes im fitting a thicker head gasket

2, im gonna charge cool it, always better for cars. so thats a intercooler aswell with poss coolant add ons.

3, its probably gonna go where the air con pump is as i never really use air con so no need to move the dizzy. jusy uprate the leads, and plugs, maybe a stronger rotor arm.

just the oqruard bit is getting the piggyback, as i say i usualy do v8;s but if this goes well i think that may be my next custom ;)

There's money in it for the first guy to produce an off the shelf kit. I looked into it years ago as did a few others. No-ones really managed to stumble to the end though. Somebody recently had a damn good go but I can't remember who now. A search would reveal all. A hybrid super/turbo charged system would be very interesting though (I think jagman was trying that out 7 years ago)

madmarf, this is something i would love to do. I know u can turbo it more easily but this is just different. What rough price do u think ur looking at for the kit? Please keep this updated. Peter.

hey peter,

yer im similar to some people on here, anyone can spend £20k and do a 1/4 in under 10 or close, but its all about making things unique ;)

i like being different, and having custom stuff, it gives me a sence of ownership if you know what mean.

im definately doing it, all is moving forward and i would say it shoud!! be completed before summer this year, hopefully. once i have managed to do 1, i could possibly start looking at doing customs on others, but not till mine is done and problems ironed out.

all the trouble im having at the mo is getting the engine electronics to accept it. all i really need to know is what everyone does when they turbo a standard n/a lump. what ecu they using , any extra sensors, and aftermarket piggyback etc etc. once thats all sorted i can build. going for a c61 rotex supercharger, as this will allow me to run between 300 and 400 bhp, so i can play within these ranges. once above 400bhp i will upgrade to c69 or 71 but doubt this will happen on a n/a engine. once its all done and dust has settled, ill move on to a TT-SUPERCHARGED or even a supra v8. i love it :D, custom is my life lol.

deff keep everyone posted though. any help on this ecu and injector stuff will be apreciated guys. i have cash waiting for any systems out there or injectors, all suitable though. my pot isnt endless but its a large pot, but im a sensible guy so no wondering prices please guys ;)

thanks all!!

jez

Edited by madmarf (see edit history)

madmarf, this is something i would love to do. I know u can turbo it more easily but this is just different. What rough price do u think ur looking at for the kit? Please keep this updated. Peter.

sorry peter, forgot to add, the whole thing is gonna cost me in parts and tuning, around £4000, but its a 1st one, so after that will probably get the price right down. knowing supercharger people i can get a rotex for around £1300, if i go eaton i have several here lol. but no chance.

;)

There is literally loads of different injectors to choose from. Quite a lot are straight drop ins. Set of 650s would probably be your best option leaving you room to go up a charger size should you want to. As for controlling it I would imagine any of the piggy backs out there that people use to go single with will work fine. Find your mapper first and see what equipment they recommend using.

A mate uses a rotrex on his 306, looks a nice bit of kit and sounds lovely.

Whats the shopping list for something like this?

Any sites you could advise to research this? I would like to do my own conversion. Im a mechanic so shouldnt be to much of a problem and then have it mapped some where.

cheers all,

1, yes im fitting a thicker head gasket

2, im gonna charge cool it, always better for cars. so thats a intercooler aswell with poss coolant add ons.

3, its probably gonna go where the air con pump is as i never really use air con so no need to move the dizzy. jusy uprate the leads, and plugs, maybe a stronger rotor arm.

just the oqruard bit is getting the piggyback, as i say i usualy do v8;s but if this goes well i think that may be my next custom ;)

im also interested in this, i know there was someone in the states that fitted a supercharger for a clk to their supra and looking at pics of it the supercharger itself looks very similar to our air con pumps

im also interested in this, i know there was someone in the states that fitted a supercharger for a clk to their supra and looking at pics of it the supercharger itself looks very similar to our air con pumps

yer the trouble with clk sc's are they dont produce much power, all that effort for little gain. needs to be done properly really. also the merc ones are quite long like eaton. better to have a t5 style where it will fit easyer.

A mate uses a rotrex on his 306, looks a nice bit of kit and sounds lovely.

Whats the shopping list for something like this?

Any sites you could advise to research this? I would like to do my own conversion. Im a mechanic so shouldnt be to much of a problem and then have it mapped some where.

theres literaly tones of info out there, but you have to know what your looking at really. i would start with http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/ but there not as helpfull as moast people think. i dealt with john but hes very blunt with his replies. then a parts list would detail

-supercharger

-supercharger oil (100% correct type, there not like engine oil)

-oil tank

-oil lines (correct length)

-pump

-filter, i would go magnetic

-custom fitting the SC itself

-belt (making sure you keep the belt tentioner)

-intercooler and coolant flow system if you want cold charge

-all SC and intercooler piping custom made to be best and 3 inch min for best flow results

-a means of raising compresion

-stronger cam belt

-bigger injectors

-custom intake feed in (must have 100% cold air to get best performance) plus filter etc..

-

theres probably more but thats off the top of my head. this of course is after you have made the engine 100% perfect, no leaks or anything, just cause problems in the long run. and making sure you have a strong drivetrain. ill add later if anything else. :)

jez

I think you should get a NA engine and work on it on a stand, it'll be peanuts to pick one up and would i'd imagine make test fitting bits and fabrication work much easier?

Tbh, its gonna be easyer in, as i need to know clearences and everything. may pull it to check it over and do the head gasket, change the clutch etc.