The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wet Passenger Footwell - Heater Matrix?

hadyn

Hi all,

Tonight I noticed that my passenger footwell was soaking wet accompanied by damp socks/antifreeze smell. Is this the sign of the dreaded heater matrix failing?

I dont want to do the job myself as its a real bitch (2 days work I have read) so this would mean a lot of cash against a 16 year old 140k mile TT which probably in todays market isnt worth that much.

What are my options, can I cap off the heater matrix easily, to avoid further leakage but at the cost of my heater?

Edited by hadyn (see edit history)

What are my options, can I cap off the heater matrix easily, to avoid further leakage but at the cost of my heater?

Yes you can, I ran like this for a long time, infact my car is still like it as I removed the matrix many months ago ;)

lol - my initial thought that my dogs or someone had peed themselves in my car!!

can anyone post up pics/diy etc on how to bypass/block the heater matrix please?

I can live with the car with no heather if it saves 500 - 1000 quid job :)

b;2328341']From what i remember reading sounds as though the heater matrix has gone. :S Can connect the feed and return pipes to the matrix so the car is still usable (just you wont have a heater).

Can someone explain/show me where these pipes are? Im probably going to block them off.

They are the two pipes that run into the passenger side of the cockpit, just behind the intake manifold.

I've looked at the design on the matrix recently and I would say blocking them off is probably the better option rather than joining them up. (YMMV)

What would you recommend to block them up with?

Also will the system leak coolant with the engine switched off?

2 brass slugs would do the job (Broom handle cap's would also work *grin*, please don't, that is a joke [CYA]) with some jubilee clips.

No, the car shouldn't leak coolant at any stage, unless it is coming from the expansion bottle (which may indicate a further issue).

Out of interest, what pressure is your rad cap?

I've looked at the design on the matrix recently and I would say blocking them off is probably the better option rather than joining them up. (YMMV)

but if you blocked them off wouldnt that stop the flow of coolant around the engine, since its a circuit?

or does it have like an extra part to the circuit to the matrix?

Why?

Can you post some pics showing the flow and explain why you think its a better to block them?

b;2328355']but if you blocked them off wouldnt that stop the flow of coolant around the engine, since its a circuit?

or does it have like an extra part to the circuit to the matrix?

Why?

Can you post some pics showing the flow and explain why you think its a better to block them?

Hahaha, I thought this may open a debate :)

If you have a look on the top of the matrix, there is a control valve which open and shuts the flow to the matrix core. From seeing the coolant flow diagram, it simply flows from the block round the matrix. Without fully knowing the thermal flow and hot spots on the engine I can't be sure, but I'd far rather the water flowed through the head than had an easier bypass via a joined pipe. Remember the matrix's operation with the valve will either be shut (ie no water going down the matrix pipes) or open where water will flow through the matrix offering some restriction.