The mkiv Supra Owners Club

side repeater regs

pezzler

does anyone know where the law stands on indicators/side repeaters? do i really need three different turn signals on each side on my front end?

was thinking of removing the side repeaters on the wing, is that legal? could i get away with removing the ones on outside of the front bumper too?

i guess what i want to know is, would it be "roadworthy" to just have the two front indicators that nestle into the air intakes??

cheers

Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986

These must be fitted with one side repeater indicator on each side. Instead of a separate lamp, the side repeater might be part of the front direction indicator if it includes a wraparound lens.

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an 'E' mark in a circle or an 'e' mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. Some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicles rear bumper with indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Sorry to hijak thread a bit but can I tint my side repeaters? I've replaced the amber ones with clear (which flash amber of course as they have an amber bulb) but was wondering if I can tint them too. I also want to tint my sidelights, anyone know of the regs or could point me in the direction of where to find the regs?

Ta muchly!

hang on :)

tinted sides should be ok as long as they are E marked, so if they are clear e marked and you dont go mad with the spay and make them black and they still light amber you should be ok

tinting the front sidelights is a no as far as i know as these must light white unless its a very light dusting with the spray

Obligatory front position lamps

Lamps required by Regulations to be fitted to a vehicle to indicate its presence and width when viewed from the front.

They must show a steady white light to the front, or a yellow light, if incorporated in a headlamp which emits yellow light.

The light must be visible from a reasonable distance.

This inspection applies to: all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are

. only used during daylight hours, and

. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above. daylight use only

Edited by bluecoup
updated (see edit history)