The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU with standard back box?

JamesC

Is it alright to run more boost with the standard back box? Obviously i would put the decats in but would the EGTs be alright with the standard back box?

Question 2. Can you get a 0.9 bar restrictor ring? Just to keep boost down for normal driving and then use a boost controller to turn it up when needed? Or would this be too restrictive too and make EGTs too high?

Cheers ;)

It is pointless, the stock exhaust system is very restrictive. You will see very little to no gain what so ever if you do not fit a cat back aftermarket exhaust.

Best way to go imho is double decat with a good cat back, and a 1 bar RR. Then use a boost controller to up the boost.

Ok thanks. I was thinking of buying one of the performance packs from a trader e.g decats, fcd etc but with the standard exhaust and an electronic boost controller to up the boost a bit. Whats the EGTs like for this?

With the stock back box being so restrictive, does this mean that the boost will stay around the same? Obvioulsy i could use the electronic boost controller to up this, and i think (if i've read correctly) the only problem then would be the EGTs?

Has anyone used a boost controller to up the boost with a standard back box and looked at EGTs? 1 bar would do me! :)

Whats the EGTs like for this?

For a BPU car you will find that this is really monitored, as with decating your Supra the EGT sensor is usually disconnected ot tied up out the way.

With the stock back box being so restrictive, does this mean that the boost will stay around the same? Obvioulsy i could use the electronic boost controller to up this, and i think (if i've read correctly) the only problem then would be the EGTs?

You will not be able to raise the boost safely, as the back box is far to restrictive. So it is a No.

Has anyone used a boost controller to up the boost with a standard back box and looked at EGTs? 1 bar would do me! :)

Maybe someone has and could confirm later, however usually people know it is far to restrictive to up the boost.

One thing to add, your Supra is not cheap, if you look at cutting corners in the wrong places then you may cause your car harm.

Do it properly or not at all is my advice.