The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight Cleaning Problems

AMG

Has anyone got any tips on cleaning the yellowish tarnish off the Jap headlights? I have read all the step by step guides and have ended up using Turtle Wax Safe Cut Scratch Remover inside and out. One lense has come up a treat but really struggling with the other. Only used a cloth and elbow greese to do them both.

Anybody got any better suggestions for cleaning products or tools?

Theres a few tips spead about if you search.

The one that I used was to remove the headlights, remove all the clips, then one at a time, put them in the oven at a low temperature for a few mins. When they come out the sealant that hold the lenses to the front should be slightly melted and you are then able to prise the lenses off. Clean them up with Brasso or Silvo on the inside, put the lenses pack on, reheat in the oven and hey presto !! Clean lights.! :D Yes it is worrying, but it works.

Rob.

Originally posted by Agndrs

Rob_P, I did take them to bits and started to try brasso but it seemed to be scratching them rather than cleaning. Thats why i ended up using the Turtle wax stuff. Will try it again if you think it will work.

I used brasso on mine and they looked almost brand new when finished. If you are concerned that they maybe getting scrathed, you could use Silvo instead of Brasso which is less abrasive.

Good luck.

Rob.