The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Superchips

Adam_SG

Originally posted by Adam_SG

Has anyone had their ECU changed by Superchips or a similar company, are they effective? I have heard good and bad things about them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Adam.

Superchips fit a device too remove fuel cut not unlike the V.V.F.C sold by http://www.TRLperformance.co.uk and a bleeder T valve too increased the boost. I think they charge about 500 quid for this whereas you can get the parts for less than 100 quid and do it yourself in less than one hour.

Who other than Superchips is offering ECU mods BTW?

I thinkUNI chip will do anything, its a piggy back ecu that they map to your car on the rollers.

Had one put on my cavalier turbo, gained 55bhp, £700 well spent

Totally driveable and reliable.

owen devlopments are the people to talk to, they are near Oxford - 01865 820580

Guest Martin F

The Supra ECU is apparently not so easy to crack. Very few people have managed to do it and perform mods to the maps.

I can verify that the UNICHIP is a piece of shYt. Had it on my car for 2 years to try to get the fueling under control and that worked ok on the 440cc injectors. But there were a few things the installer (and Australian distributor) didn't mention. It can't alter ignition timing on Supras (and most Toyotas for that matter) and it is VERY limited in its adjustment of fueling. Once I got the 550cc injectors installed we couldn't adjust the map any more because they had max out the settings already on the first tune (on the smaller injectors). Now I have pulled the Unichip off and am running AFC/ITC combo (very successfully) until I can find something else that will suit a auto TT. Maybe when the AEM is all bug free ...

Andrei

Guest Martin F
Originally posted by HardHead42

Wonder if the Greddy E-manage may be the piggy back answer for the Supra?

Possibly, but the AEM will probably be the best solution long term, particularly when you start looking at price and features.

Hi

My brothers company are a Supachip Agent

They have very good race car technicians there, Tom Shepard is the guy you need to speak to, he's been in motorsport for 20+ years preparing and racing all sorts of cars from FF1600 to Le Mans cars.

They also have an engine dyno and machine shop.

Think the supra tt costs approx £500 inc vat and you have a 7 day money back option if not completely satisfied.

Regards

Andrew[dunk]Shaw

Originally posted by Martin F

Possibly, but the AEM will probably be the best solution long term, particularly when you start looking at price and features.

Have to agree with you there. IF 1100 is correct then it's a very good price for a full replacement ECU with full data logging. But the e-manage is much much cheaper so may be worth a look for someone on a budget that doesn't need the total tunability of the AEM ECU.

It's a piggy back unit that can adjust fueling timing and a few other things. Some info here. http://mkiv.com/tmp/emanage/emanage_software_manual/index.html

And wiring diagram for Supra TT here. http://mkiv.com/tmp/emanage/emanage_software_manual/23.JPG

Looks more capable than most of the other units on the market, looks like it adjusts fueling directly (taps into the injector wires like the RLTC, and posisbly the timing as well (all wires are tapped), also runs extra injectors if needed.

Looks to be about 200 quid plus delivery and taxes from http://www.takakaira.co.jp

The complete ECU replacement is the better overall solution.

Didn't realise the E-manage was so cheap!!

I assume its configured by laptop. RS232 port?

If it adjusts the timing then its "better" than the S-AFC and you can tuck it out of the way!...DOH just sold my DDin stereo to fit the S-AFC at some point. But I can just permanently mount the SBC units in there instead :)

I think I shall look through the tech articles but it sounds to me like I'll be needing a Field Harness soon!!!

If it cuts in to the same wires as the RLTC and you had the RLTC already fitted would you tap the e-manage closer to the ECU??

Kit fever strikes!

RS232 and possibly USB also.

I didn't realise it was so cheap until I looked on Taka Kaira, Looking at the way it adjusts fuel there seems to be a simple method to reduce fuel to the injectors (the same way as the S-AFC does by reducing air-flow/map signal), but there also seems to be some settings called sub injectors which I wasn't too sure about but mkiv.com is down again and can't look into it more, of cause it also controls two extra injectors if you want to go that route.

Superchips fit a device too remove fuel cut not unlike the V.V.F.C sold by http://www.TRLperformance.co.uk and a bleeder T valve too increased the boost. I think they charge about 500 quid for this whereas you can get the parts for less than 100 quid and do it yourself in less than one hour.

Just a correction...

http://www.trlperformance.com

I didn't bother to renew the .co.uk one

For fuel cut controllers try the

TRL VFCC

Regards

Pete

• 3 years later...

I'll let Ian decide what he wants to do with it.

You can just imagine the bemused look on the faces of people who were subscribed to this thread but left the club years ago, and suddenly get a new post notification e-mail about it!