The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sos!!

AdzC

I know this has been done to death but i'm currently trying to change my boot rubbers.

I have started on one and cut all the rubber way exposing the screws. I've heated them with a soldering iron and now just tried the blow torch method but nothing seems to be melting the glue.

To make matters worse the screw heads are looking f##ked from my attempts to get them out.

Advice on what to do next very much appreciated.

I ended up in a similar state, you really have to warm the screws up a lot to melt the glue - and it'll rest again quite quickly.

I VERY CAREFULLY used some locking pliers (like these) to grip the mangled head and force it to undo - (once I'd got it part way out some normal pliers did the job) - I still had to heat the glue for it to move. I used a gas soldering iron with the head removed so I had a tiny, very hot flame.

Thanks guys. It scares me using ablow torch in an area surrounded by rubber seals and paint. My problem is that I think the screw head is already stripped so don't have ny grip with the screwdriver.

Same as mine; it scared me heating it up so much (I even put a wetted paper towel on the paintwork nearby) and I manged the screw head trying to undo it when the glue wasn't melted. Move up a DEFCON and get bigger tools out ;)

Same as mine. Move up a DEFCON and get bigger tools out ;)

LOL

I have to leave it to pop to the shop and buy a new tool as I don't have a great collection yet. Already bought a soldering iron and blowtorch.

Guest WrathChild

I chiseled away the metal base with a screw driver. This exposed the head of the screw sufficiently enough to be able to grip the screw with a pair of mole grips, worked a treat, didn't need heat with the grips either.

I tried the heating and unscrewing method first but the head of the screw just disintegrated.

I recomend getting some M5 x 12mm socket headed machine bolts to replace the screw, I got a pack from screw fix direct for about £1.30. Will make it easier to undo them in 10 or so years time when they perish again :rolleyes:

Would drilling them and using easy outs be an option. I have to admit i have used these a lot in the past.

Also if the screw head it buggered anyway and you can get mole grips on them use a blunt drill in the old head slot and fire the dril away. The heat from the friction is easier to control than a blow lamp I find.

Hope this helps a bit.

Darren

:)

Finally did it. Took a load of heat on three of the screws. One came out with no problem.

Really was at the end of my tether with that one. Still alls well that ends well.

Thanks for all your advice guys. It definitely helped and gave me the confidence that it could indeed be done.

:lol:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who's a bit skeptical that they can't do stuff to their own cars, no matter how trivial it sounds to other people!

It's more the prospect of messing it up. Really didn't enjoy holding a blowtorch next to the car. Although the relief when those damn screws began to come out was worth it.