The mkiv Supra Owners Club

At what speed is the Supra most fuel efficient?

RedM

I'm not sure if that makes sense as a title but here's my question in more detail.

Auto JDM Supra TT

Is the Supra more fuel efficient at a certain speed/rev range than at others?

I've just done a 250 mile each way trip and filled up to the first click-off at the pump before each leg.

The first 250 miles were done between 04:00 (don't ask!) and 08:00 and I stayed between 70 and 80 mph. Yes it was a chore.

The return journey was done in the evening (17:00 to about 20:30) but with light traffic and speeds varying from 70 to 'interesting' with some hard acceleration and higher sustained speeds than the outward journey.

On the return leg I used visibly less fuel. About three sections on the fuel gauge! The route was identical.

This got me wondering whether the Supra is more fuel efficient (or whatever it's called) at speeds above our speed limit.

Anyone?

all cars are more efficent at a certain speed. its a comprimise between speed and how fast you get somewhere. Years ago I read in a mag when you go over 56mph cars become more inefficent. Also its more efficent bewlow 50mph to have your window open then aircon on, above that its the other way round.

Thanks but that's not really answered the question. Is the Supra more efficient above 70 than below it. ie, would it be better to drive down a m-way at 85 rather than 70?

If not can someone explain how driving faster used less fuel than driving slower?

wind direction and velocity , road gradients would all affect consumption would they not?

people seem to post up all sorts of mileage results on here, from a tank of gas, but even the gas itself is not standardised?

just drive the bleedin thing will you lol

Rich

I'm not bothered about using fuel. I'm just curious about why it should be that a more spirited drive used less fuel.

TBH, this isn't the first time I've noticed that a steady drive seemed to use more fuel.

My stepdad thinks it might be that the ECU or gearing or something works better at a higher speed than you'd think.

MMM to be fair I found with my TT no matter wether I tried my hardest to stay at daft low mph or ragged the ass off it when capable the MPG was all the same a pretty much 19 mpg

dude.. that's harsh

I've had 32 out of my tt's... are you towing another car? or forgot to take the handbrake off? all your tyres gone flat? lol

driving with you eye on the boost guage and not letting it get past -0.5 bar will get you decent mpg.

I drove my single to CW last time, filled up at home, drove 200 miles in rush hour (60-80mph) and the needle was still above 3/4 full when i got there.

I bought the G/F a golf gti with a fuel computer on...; nightmare; whenever I drive it I have to beat the last score; so far I have not bettered 46mpg for a 2.0 4 pot... 2008 I will get it to 48.. lol

I hear if you acccellerate to 70, then turn the engine off and coast to 30 and repeat the cycle it gives you 70 mpg....

I tried it on a car which cracked the oil filter 100 miles from home and i think it works! Used more oil than petrol.

The engine is most efficient at peak torque. The Jap TT makes peak torque at what - 2800-3000rpm? So whatever speed that translates to in top cog. 85mph ish IIRC.

*Note that the engine is most efficient at peak torque, but that does NOT mean it will be using less fuel than at a lower speed. But simply that you are getting more 'bang for your buck'.

dude.. that's harsh

I've had 32 out of my tt's... are you towing another car? or forgot to take the handbrake off? all your tyres gone flat? lol

driving with you eye on the boost guage and not letting it get past -0.5 bar will get you decent mpg.

I drove my single to CW last time, filled up at home, drove 200 miles in rush hour (60-80mph) and the needle was still above 3/4 full when i got there.

I bought the G/F a golf gti with a fuel computer on...; nightmare; whenever I drive it I have to beat the last score; so far I have not bettered 46mpg for a 2.0 4 pot... 2008 I will get it to 48.. lol

I hear if you acccellerate to 70, then turn the engine off and coast to 30 and repeat the cycle it gives you 70 mpg....

I tried it on a car which cracked the oil filter 100 miles from home and i think it works! Used more oil than petrol.

Ah well there's the thing I found it impossible to stay off boost in my BPU motor as it reached zero before 1500 rpm and was up to 1.0 bar well before 2500 rpm. I also didn't manage a whole tank of driving "slowly" ever oops.

I know what you mean about the trip computer thing. I aero-tow trucks now in my range rover. I managed a whopping 22.1 mpg in it once which is a real achievement :D

As previously mentioned by Syed Shah, it's at peak torque in whatever gear. But sadly at 85 mph you're dealing with tyre rolling resistance which is linearly proportional to speed and worse than that, wind resistance which increases with the square of the speed.

Ah well there's the thing I found it impossible to stay off boost in my BPU motor as it reached zero before 1500 rpm and was up to 1.0 bar well before 2500 rpm. I also didn't manage a whole tank of driving "slowly" ever oops.

few!

I thought we have a MKIV caravan tower for a moment there! ;)