The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol Smell on startup

michael

Prior to having my AVC-R and other bits installed the car was fine but now I get quite a strong whiff of petrol fumes each time I start up.

The changes made from there being no smell to there being one are as follows:

AVC-R

Iridium Plugs

TRL FCD

Car runs great, fuel consuption is hard to judge as I've been at Elvington and Dyno days recently but it seems as steady as normal. Fuel filter was replaced a few hundred miles ago too.

Only happens when I start the car and I can't think why, any suggestions why doing the above mods might have had this effect?

i cant really see that the mods would have any effect (unless installed wrong). at first i'd imagined u'd meant a running rich exhaust smell, but it sounds like a leak in the engine bay. filter would b my first point to check.

i take it u have no little dark spots on the floor under the car? or that u leave a trail of flames wherever u go :)

Like my loss of two dash bulbs it's probably total coincidence that the smell appeared after the mods but it's still a worry (I'm sure they are all fitted properly, TRL did it not me :)) - haven't noticed any drips or flames but as Toyota fit the filter anything is possible (letter going to them anyway following a service where they didn't do half the stuff they said they did).

• 1 month later...

This one is still with me and I can't seem to solve it... to recap....

Car driving like a dream and 20 > 25mpg - just decats and NuR

Took car to Thor and got an AVC-R @ 1.17 fitted along with a TRL FCD and a set of iridium plugs. It was all set up on the dyno and fuelling was spot on before and after - just a little rich as usual.

Ever since the mods I've had a strong petrol smell in the cabin and really crap fuel consumption - now I expect to use more fuel at higher boost but in generally I drive the car as I did before so rarely use more than stock boost - however I now get closer to 13mpg :(

Car feels great, much quicker and more responsive but the smell is really doing my head in - quite literally as I get home with a headache all the time!! Fuel consumption issue would be nice to sort too - used to get 250 > 280 miles from a full tank and now get closer to 200 despite a longer more fuel efficient drive to work now instead of my old stop and go traffic hell.

Fuel filter has been checked, no leaks, everything seems to be OK but something isn't right - could I have a dodgy sensor somewhere or is this normal for the mods I have?

Help, I want to burn the fuel not inhale it!!

:flame Dev

Originally posted by Roy

maybe utter bollox but maybe a miniscule leak in the fuel line in/near engine bay and smell filtering back into cabin from there ?

That's the bit that worries me!

Petrol Smell = Loose Petrol = Scary!

I've looked around as much as I can (no ramps sadly) and can't find anything obvious, no drips on the drive either - I don't have a garage I can trust in Leeds to look into it without using it as a means to make lots of money either and lack the time to take it further afield, I'll have to get it looked at though :(

• 3 years later...
Guest Marine_Blue1000

Ive also been getting strong fuel smells... but mine is more scary. On inspection the other day fuel was actually pouring out from underneath the car. when i switched engine off and lifted the bonnet, fuel sprayed from the back of the engine when i primed the pump... worst thing is i cant find anything wrong now!!! no leaks anywhere.. even my local mechanic can't find anything wrong..

Might be taking it to interpro soon but if you get any answers please let me know!

in the meantime im off to buy a fire extinguisher

Crikey, this is a thread I haven't seen for a while!

In your case I think I'd have it towed somewhere for a proper inspection rather than risk bursting into flames.

Might be wise to start a new thread with the full details of your issue too, "petrol smell on startup" doesn't really cover "petrol pouring out of my engine bay, I'm about to go up in flames"