The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Superchips - Any good?

Paul Laing

Was looking on http://www.superchips.co.uk before and spotted the Supra TT application for £511. Are these any good? They reckon they give an increase of 35bhp.

Theres also a graph of the TT that says it gives an extra 55bhp when tested, and 82 torque.

Is this true? I'm not thinking about getting one as i'm pretty skint at the moment, but just thought they looked good. Are they the same as Jap ones but just a different name? Superchips instead of Blitz etc? Or shit compared to the Jap manufacturers?

Thanks,

Paul

Might be worth doing a search on this one as theres a post from a while back saying thats is probably not worth it.

Superchips do a fixed price for turbo cars, so on cossies and stuff they supply a nice new chip and they get value for money. You cant really chip the Supra ECU so what they used to do was fit a fuel cut defenser and a bleed valve to increase the boost. Probably buy those bits for about £80 and have them fitted for another £80....

Maybe Superchips have changed the way they do it but I dont see how they can.

JB

Depends a lot on the budget. The main mods to do are

decat

exhaust

FCD

boost controller

normally in that order. Theres no reason why you cant just fit the FCD and boost controller and keep the cats and exhaust and still see a huge performance improvement so it depends on money. The main advantage of a boost controller is that it keeps the boost steady in all weathers. If you set a 1.2bar maximum it should keep as close to that on a hot day as it does on a cold day. Bleed valves can give different figures dependent on air temperature, on a hot day it could be 16psi and on a cold day 18psi. Which is fine, but if you set it for 19psi on a hot day then it could be 22psi on a cold day which is too much really.

I have always used TRL FCDs but others have used the HKS with no problems. Depends what the tuner prefers on their cars as its them who have to fix it if its wrong.

JB