The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto Transmission Temperatures

SUPRASUZUKI

I've got a Mocal cooler (25 row x 235mm) mounted after the stock cooler (under the nearside headlight).

I'm currently seeing between 60 (evening) and 70deg© (warm day) in the ATF return hose. This is cruising around at legal (sort-of) limits.

What temps / setups do others have? Is this likely to increase dramatically on track days??

All info gratefully recieved.

I've got a Mocal cooler (25 row x 235mm) mounted after the stock cooler (under the nearside headlight).

I'm currently seeing between 60 (evening) and 70deg© (warm day) in the ATF return hose. This is cruising around at legal (sort-of) limits.

What temps / setups do others have? Is this likely to increase dramatically on track days??

All info gratefully recieved.

your stock cooler is designed to put heat into the system thats why you are seeing about 70C, mine isn't connected to the cooler so i get about 50C at cruise, to get the best from your mocal you will need to duct it properly or you will (dependent on its position) loose a lot of its effiecency, just putting a cooler in an air flow will not guarantee it works as a lot of the air will just flow round it

So, you're not using the stock cooler in your set-up?

How do you mean designed to put heat into the system? You mean it uses the coolant heat to warm the ATF at cold ambient temps?? Sorry if I'm having a 'thick' moment.:)

i have a fluidyne rad which has no trans cooler, yes you are spot on about warming the coolant at low temps

• 7 months later...
If I remember correctly, the stock auto-box working temp is 80. Ducting, as already pointed out, will make the mocal more efficient. The box won't change into od until a pre set? temperature is reached.

anyone know what temp is required for o/d to start operating?

interesting im just about to fit the same cooler on mine,just sorting mounting a fan to the cooler at the minute.

have you got a fan on it aswell?

No fan currently. I've got a track evening at Snett in June, so I'll see how the temps go and make a decision after that.

anyone know what temp is required for o/d to start operating?

I'll try to remember to check this (been meaning to do it for ages).

so its worked on the water temp not the oil temp in the box to detemin o/d and lock up

also which is the return line?front or rear one contected to the box

cheers simon

i would say definately water temp as when i swapped my stock radiator with built in tranny cooler to a fluidyne with external coolers i was surprised to find the box changes up to OD at the exact same spot on the way to work every morning, as for which pipe is which there is a thread on here somewhere that i used that does tell this but i cant find it :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did an evening at Snetterton last Thursday, weather was dry and sunny.

Trans temp went up to about 93C towards the end of the 20 min sessions. Interstingly, the water temp never rose above about 92 compared to about 100 before the trans cooler was fitted.

So, not putting as much heat into the rad via the trans fluid certainly helps coolant temps.