The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taping The Hot Side

terribleturner

Ok, i have no idea what you said there :D

It's a 1/8npt i belive. The hole isn't too big YET. Im using just the one piece that i assume is called the tap. It's a drill bit like thing. Im winding it in to cut the thread but it's just not taking and going rouns and round. I'm scared to drill it anymore incase i go past the point of no return :(

Get a 10mm drill and just chamfer the top of the hole so it has a 45 degree edge, just to about 1mm down. This will help start the tap biting. Then push down hard on the bugger as you turn it!

Edit - Make sure you don't power the 10mm drill all the way through. Turn it by hand to prevent a mishap!

Ok, after just trying again it started to take ever so slightly and then stopped. So got the insert bose and with a screwdriver pushing against it with my belly :D and my spanner, i managd to get it in and stay. :clap:

Thanks for the help. Think i need to learn more about this tap and die business before i use it again :D

Ok, after just trying again it started to take ever so slightly and then stopped. So got the insert bose and with a screwdriver pushing against it with my belly :D and my spanner, i managd to get it in and stay. :clap:

Thanks for the help. Think i need to learn more about this tap and die business before i use it again :D

So have you cut a full thread or just jammed the boss in? :blink:

So have you cut a full thread or just jammed the boss in? :blink:

Eeerrr, not totally jammed :D it did cut a thread slightly and after making sure it was actually go in with thee help of my screwdriver i just had to wind it in more.

Have you tapped any holes before? :)

If not it would be wise to have a practice on a scrap piece of metal.

Too late. :D

Well my first ever try was on my vaccum source off the turbo. Worked fine :D

Next time will be in a couple of weeks for my new catch can. What do you use to lubricate it??

thank god for the belly